I have noticed for about a week my otherwise healthy 16 yr old diabetic cat has a bulge on his right

I have noticed for about a week my otherwise healthy 16 yr old diabetic cat has a bulge on his right side, well south of his rib cage in the "squishy" part of his abdomen. It's not visibly noticeable to someone that doesn't know him, but I can definitely feel it when I pet him. It seems soft-ish, about the size of my palm and somewhat elongated. I have palpated (fairly aggressively) and he shows no signs of pain. His behavior and habits seem otherwise normal except he seems to be finiky about where in the house he drinks water lately and his vision seems to have gotten much worse recently. Correlation? Either way, at his age it's concerning. He's a happy cat, diabetes seems well regulated and he has no other health issues that I'm aware of. We moved about 5 months ago but he seems to have adjusted well. Money is super tight at the moment and I plan to get him checked out as soon as I'm able, but any advice would be helpful in the interim. I'd never forgive my self if it was serious. Thank you!! Chewy's mom