Cat pees on everything and he won't stop

My cat is 6 years old. He has been peeing on furniture his whole life. Just hardly ever. When he was little, he would pee on my bed and on clothes. Which was understandable. I was a teenager and didn't care to clean my room, or his litter box. I realized I needed to clean it more often, so I did. He got better about it. Then I met my (now) husband and moved in with him. My cat started peeing on the bed more, which again, I understood. It was just him and me for his whole life, and then I add another person in our bed. He got better and only peed on the bed every so often. Then we bought our own place, and got all new furniture. Very expensive couches with down feathers and a tempurpedic mattress. He started peeing on the bed and the couch. Very frequently. We bought protectors for the couch and locked him out of the bedroom. There is nothing medically wrong with him. I love him and I don't know what to do anymore. We are both at the end of the rope. Any advice?