Possible causes of kitten's death - temperature and pulse spike followed by hypothermia and lethargy

Our 7 week old kitten just died unexpectedly and I'm trying to back track and figure out what happened. One night he was meowing loudly and when I picked him up he was hot, his heart was racing really fast and really strong and he was lethargic. The next morning he was cold and sprawled out and very lethargic. I took him to the vet and three thermometers couldn't get a reading. They put him on an IV and a heat pad and they were able to raise his temp to 95 and then he crashed again in the afternoon. They kept him overnight and in the morning he showed no more improvement but he kept jumping out of the box they had him in. We took him home to monitor him ourselves. We were able to get his temp up to 96-98 and he drank a little bit of water and ate a little bit of food. He would rotate between crying loudly and taking a couple steps and then would lay down out of breath and rest. He repeated this for about 12 hours. Then he became very aggressive about jumping out of the tub we had him in (on a heat pad) and he was trying to walk around with very limited use of his legs. He then started crying louder and louder and more aggressively. When I picked him up again his whole body convulsed and he died... Very traumatic day. I just can't figure out what was wrong with him. Do you think it was a virus or maybe something obstructed his bowel? I fed them bits of chicken the night before and I'm really worried it was all because he ate a bone or something like that. Any ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated. We are fostering his 4 other homeless siblings and I'm so afraid they'll get sick next. Thanks for your help.