I thought it was a grub on my cat's neck - now I'm perplexed

Hi all, thank you for reading  I have a bit of a mystery on my hands with my 9 year old cat Troy. I found a hard, oval lump on the left side of his throat. The first thing I did was head straight to the internet for clues. I thought the only thing it could be was a grub since he actually found a wild baby rabbit in our house on Friday and carried it out the dog door before I knew what was happening. So next I look for the tell-tale air hole but can find none. I then removed the hair from the area and still nothing. I am completely perplexed as it showed up the morning after the rabbit encounter so I was sure it was a grub. There is no laceration at the site and he feels no pain when I touch it, even purrs as I scratch him there. I realize that the obvious answer is to take him to the vet but since he is not in any pain I figure that it can’t hurt to get some opinions before forking over crazy sums of money that we don’t have. I have a picture but it may not help any as there is really