Does my kitten have fleas? help please!

Hi we brought a kitten a few weeks ago (to be told she was 6 weeks when we got there- mother had already been taken away so if we hadnt had her someone else would)and was told she was flead and wormed. yesterday I found a small worm (thinking tape worm) on her tail so this morning went and brought deworming medicine and flea treatment. have not put the flea treatment on yet as dont want to risk ODing her on it however if she has worms this comes from fleas anyway so im thinking the person we brought her from lied? ive tried to contact her but she has ignored me. have used the worming treatment but just worried its all a waste of time if she still has fleas, have treated the whole house with insecticide, can any one help with if its safe to deflea or not? much appreciated x