Four month old kitten, FIP

Not sure where else to go. Two months ago, we adopted our kitten from the local vet's office. As soon as we walked in the door, he climbed up the cage he was in and starting "yelling" at us to look at him. We were smitten from the start. We brought him home and he instantly molded himself in to our family. I had ZERO complaints about this wonderful creature, he was the most perfect first pet for our family. I had held off for many years on getting a family pet because of my son's ages. I wanted them to be old enough and responsible enough to care for and love our new family member. Last week, I started noticing that my little guy had gained a lot of weight in his middle but wasn't eating as much. The next day, he was eating nothing and his playful, energetic disposition was replaced by lethargy and discomfort. I instantly thought maybe worms were backing him up so I made a call to the vet's office that I adopted him from to get him checked out. On Friday, 10/17/2014 when I took him to the Vet, a wonderful lady who runs the practice with her husband, she instantly recognized that the bloating in his belly was near his vital organs. She gave a hesitant diagnosis of FIP. I took him that afternoon to an emergency clinic where they could perform X-Rays and blood work. It was there that I was told that he did have FIP and was suffering. I made the decision to put him to sleep that night to avoid his further pain. My guilt is overwhelming from this, I feel like I've failed him somehow. I didn't even know this was a disease that I should be watching for. After only two months, we've lost our first pet. I know that time makes things easier but everyone keeps telling me to adopt another kitten. This idea is downright terrifying, to be honest. I know I need to wait a certain amount of time to not only heal but to let my home free from the virus that could potentially strike down another angel. I guess I just came here in hopes that someone else has been through this or understands my pain. Did I do something wrong? Should I have waited for him to pass on his own instead of essentially signing his death warrant?