Cat coughing up phlegm but always swallows it again. What can I do?

So, I recently took over as owner; he was my mother's cat. He had a bad cold/congestion for a couple years or more. He wouldn't get over it due to being one of five cats with colds. When I took over care, I took him back to the vet and he's finally over the snot/head congestion. However, he still coughs/heaves from time to time which sounds successful but he then swallows the phlegm again instead of spitting it out. Is there something I can do to help him spit it out? Or at least loosen the phlegm so it doesn't get caught in his throat? He's on anti-biotics still for his bacterial infection and I would like to stay away from the vet unless absolutely necessary. It's starting to take a toll on the wallet and he doesn't seem to have any major issues with it. Eats/drinks just fine, active.