Why does my cat refuse to use the litterbox?

We've had this cat for five-six years. When we first got him he was completely well-behaved and used the litterbox constantly, but sometime in the last year or so he started pooping in the floor. The feces was liquidy and we assumed he was sick, but it never stopped despite all of the vets that prescribed medicine. It stopped for a little while but recently he started it up again, and just today he started peeing all over the house, directly refusing to use the litterbox when my mom/brother put him in it. He would jump out and run straight to a corner to pee/poop in. Now my mom's going to permanently lock him in our laundry room. She's made it clear she doesn't like him, and is only keeping him because she doesn't want him to be killed. I've tried everything- switching litters, giving him a personal litterbox separate from our other cat, but he still won't use it. Does anyone know why??? I'm at the end of my rope.