Ongoing eye discharge

My wife and I are considering adopting a kitten. He was found during the Harvey flooding here in Houston, Tx. We found him through a local foster/adoption agency. The owner said that he and his siblings were VERY ill when they were found. Out of his siblings, he was the only one to survive, despite the vets saying he wouldn't make it but they would keep trying. Luckily, he did survive. A little info given to me by the owner:

"He and his siblings had a horrific viral Infection that went into a secondary infection -URI. All but one survived. Almost lost this little guy but he had such a will to live. Had to be force fed, sub q fluids, nebulizer 2-3 times daily. And meds. Took him to both my vets. I told him I wouldn’t quit if he’d keep fighting.

And he did. He was my little fighter. He’s fat and sassy and full of spunk. He’s a pound less than his foster siblings but he can take them on!

I’m changing Eye meds again. It just drains clear liquid But the vets told me it was gonna be a long fight in the beginning and it was. It was a nasty virus. Thing is - he’s healthy and it’ll dissipate over time hopefully."

Given this info, do you think he may still have the URI and could he still be infectious? My wife and I already have a cat and we don't want her to get an infection. Is it possible that the infection could be gone even though the eye is still leaking? She sent me pictures and his eyes are clear with no discoloration, but the leaking one does squint just ever so slightly.