I have a very submissive cat that I don't think is confident in anything, any suggestions?

DarkoDarko Member Posts: 1
2 months ago I adopted a 3 year old cat who was all happy to jump into my arms, get carried. Lay in my lap and purr up a storm. Never shied away from my touch and arched his back when he can.

But now currently, he seems like a different cat. He is still affectionate when he wants to be, but doesn't like to be carried or want to sit on your lap. His back goes inverted from your touch even though he sometimes comes to me for attention I think. He is eating and drinking fine and he already saw the vet and had tests done and is perfectly healthy. He has a bunch of toys, a cat water fountain and food. A cat tree and 3 scratching posts that are either vertical or horizontal. He never had any accidents outside his litterbox either.

He is a very chilled cat, never tried to scratch or bite me either. His tail might lash a bit and I would assume he doesn't want to be touched but he'll cry if I leave the room. He likes to hide under the table sometimes as well but he also likes to come out in the open when I'm watching tv. I'm just wondering if I should try and build more confidence with him?