Need Advice - Adopted, returned, regretting

Forgive me this is going to be a little long and I’m not really sure if this is the right thread, but I’m hoping for some unbiased advice from people who know rescue cats. Hopefully you won’t judge me too horribly.

Last week I adopted an adorable black 2 year old girl named Maribelle from my local shelter. Now, normally I’m a “dog person” in that I always saw myself having a dog and I generally like the temperament of a dog better. I was initially hoping to get a dog when I graduate college (though I live by myself now) in May. However, for some reason, I really liked Maribelle, ended up putting in an application, and was accepted to adopted her.

Currently, my apartment has had some major issues that has me living out of a hotel for the past couple weeks. The renovations are finally supposed to start this Friday after moving into the hotel 3 weeks ago. As a result, I have been keeping my new cat at my ex boyfriend’s place because he offered and he already has two cats (though Maribelle stayed in a different room than his cats) so he knows how to take care of them. On top of this, I am graduating college in a couple months and am moving several hours away into corporate housing for 6 months, which I am unsure allows pets. After the 6 months, I will be working a permanent sales job that could have me spending some nights away from my apartment which could work with a cat, but definitely not with a dog. But, after being on the fence all week about it, I ended up returning her to the shelter this afternoon.

However, now I feel absolutely terrible and miss her greatly. I know the situation with my ex is not appropriate and I know the future with my new job might be unknown so I thought it was the right decision to give her up. But at the same time I know I’m a great pet owner and I don’t know anyone who would love their pet more than I would. So I’m not sure what to do. I want to go back and get her, but I’m not sure if that’s what’s best for both of us. I’m trying to make the best decision.

Comments

• RobertaRoberta Member Posts: 4
    You were right to give her up. You seem to know that your life is too unstable at the moment.
  • WolfganggWolfgangg Terre HauteMember Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

On the other paw, you know if you are traveling she could even go with you--some very good hotel chains are pet friendly. I've had situations where I have done that. However, you know more than anyone whether it could really work or not. Are these things just passing road bumps, or long term issues. I bet you ARE a wonderful pet parent, and youwill ultimately decide the best for her, whichever way it goes.

• TwinkleTwinkle BirminghamMember Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly don't think you totally thought it through when you adopted her. You've got a lot going on in your life now & things will be continuing to change for a while from what you said. Until you can get everything in your life more leveled out & stable, I think you need to focus on you right now. Get a stable job & home & then you can think about having a cat or dog. I know your heart was in the right place, but I just don't think this is the best time to have a pet to worry about. Good luck!

• martiannikkimartiannikki Member Posts: 4
    If it was just the next few weeks while your apartment gets sorted out then having the cat stay elsewhere is fine, or if when you moved after college you could take her with you also all would be well am sure that after that things will become more stable and you can give a pet the home they need but the timing at the moment is just all wrong. So you have made the right decision though I know it must have been hard to do so. The truth is though that for any pet owner the animals needs come first. If that cant happen at the moment then as an animal lover you have to accept that and not have pets.