How often do male cats need wet food?

Melissa RondpreMelissa Rondpre Member Posts: 1
I have been feeding both my cats raw food for years, but my female cat has started to get sick after every meal. It was suggested that I switch them to a grain free kibble. However, I know male cats need some wet food otherwise they can get crystals (happened to my cat when I was a kid). 
I’d rather not feed them separate food, so how often should I give them the wet food? Is once a week okay? Or should I feed them a little wet food every day?
Thanks

Comments

• ssathuessathue Member Posts: 1

The worst wet food is better than the best dry food. Please feed your cats wet food for their primary diet with dry food sparingly.

Please. Read.
    https://catinfo.org

• MousieCorpMousieCorp Member Posts: 15
    I absolutely agree with ssathue..  even if a dry food has the very top of the line finest ingredients, it's still DRY food.  Cats do not have a drinking urge.  They won't drink unless they're absolutely parched.  
    Wet food is best because in nature, cats have evolved to get their moisture from the prey they eat.  Fresh prey contains about 70 to 85% water and so cats never needed to drink extra water to meet their needs. They also have extremely efficient kidneys so their bodies make use of every drop. 
    Dry food also contains grains and vegetables and the protien often is derived from plant sources rather than the animal sources your cat can actually use.  
    While it's okay to feed you dog vegetables, you cannot feed a cat grains or veggies.  Dogs can eat those things because dogs produce Amylase, an anzime in their saliva which breaks down plant matter.  Cats do not have this, so their bodies cannot process plant based proteins and cellulose fibers, so they end up passing these as waste, unable to absorb the proteins. 
    Cats are obligate carnivores and require large amounts of protein.  They have little to NO need for carbohydrates (which dry cat food is FULL of).  
    When cats eat dry food, they end up overloaded with carbohydrates and they can become obese, develop kidney failure and fatty liver.   
    It's especially important to keep your male kitties on wet food since they are more prone to crystalization of the urinary tract.  If they don't get enough water from their food, the urine becomes too concentrated and can form crystals which obstruct the urethra and that can be fatal.  Male cats urethra are narrower than those of females, so they are at increased risk. 
    My boys eat wet food with some water added for extra moisture and a very small amount of dry food sprinkled in just because they like the crunch. 
    Be sure and get food that has the meat as one of the first 5 ingredients listed as ingredients are listed according to the amount.
    Sorry for such a long post!! lol 
    I hope this helps you in your quest to provide the best for your kitty!

• BenjiexBenjiex Member Posts: 6
    I absolutely agree with ssathue..  even if a dry food has the very top of the line finest ingredients, it's still DRY food.  Cats do not have a drinking urge.  They won't drink unless they're absolutely parched.  
    Wet food is best because in nature, cats have evolved to get their moisture from the prey they eat.  Fresh prey contains about 70 to 85% water and so cats never needed to drink extra water to meet their needs. They also have extremely efficient kidneys so their bodies make use of every drop. 
    Dry food also contains grains and vegetables and the protien often is derived from plant sources rather than the animal sources your cat can actually use.  
    While it's okay to feed you dog vegetables, you cannot feed a cat grains or veggies.  Dogs can eat those things because dogs produce Amylase, an anzime in their saliva which breaks down plant matter.  Cats do not have this, so their bodies cannot process plant based proteins and cellulose fibers, so they end up passing these as waste, unable to absorb the proteins. 
    Cats are obligate carnivores and require large amounts of protein.  They have little to NO need for carbohydrates (which dry cat food is FULL of).  
    When cats eat dry food, they end up overloaded with carbohydrates and they can become obese, develop kidney failure and fatty liver.   
    It's especially important to keep your male kitties on wet food since they are more prone to crystalization of the urinary tract.  If they don't get enough water from their food, the urine becomes too concentrated and can form crystals which obstruct the urethra and that can be fatal.  Male cats urethra are narrower than those of females, so they are at increased risk. 
    My boys eat wet food with some water added for extra moisture and a very small amount of dry food sprinkled in just because they like the crunch. 
    Be sure and get food that has the meat as one of the first 5 ingredients listed as ingredients are listed according to the amount.
    Sorry for such a long post!! lol 
    I hope this helps you in your quest to provide the best for your kitty!

Wow! Thank you for sharing this. :)