New Kitty's First Vet Visit

NewFurrMamaNewFurrMama Member Posts: 8
I adopted my kitty last month. She was rehomed from a loving family because she didn't get a long with their older cat. She was taken in off the street and fed and loved by her previous family. She was not however, taken to the vet, treated for worms or fleas. She is my first pet. I noticed white wormlike things hanging from her **** or around her tail so I googled it and set her up for a vet exam with a veterinarian near me. When I got her to the vet she was already upset because it was a new experience, being in the carrier and being around strangers. They would not allow me in the room for the exam. They brought her back quickly stating they were only able to do the vaccines and clip a few nails. They stated that they stopped for safety reasons. No fecal exam was done, which was needed the most! They sent me home with a container to collect it and drop it off. They also gave me 3 syringes filled with liquid medication that does not treat all worms! Not tapeworms which is what I fear she has. The veterinarian also stated that if her behavior doesn't improve in the next visit, he will have to put her under anesthesia to perform regular treatment! Does this sound normal to you? I seriously want to find another veterinarian! My cat is not that bad! She was just afraid. At home she is playful and affectionate when she comes to me.  She follows me everywhere and has bonded with me in this short time of a month. I can't pick her up without a fight, let alone clip her nails myself, but it's only been 1 month in a new home and I am inexperienced. A veterinarian should know better, right? Please advise.

Comments

• joyknightsjoyknights Member Posts: 16
    Maybe you could talk to the veterinarian and ask him if it is okay if you stay in the room just to calm your cat. This is pretty normal, cats tend to be snooty on a stranger.