Feral Kitty

B BrennanB Brennan Member Posts: 1
Hi all,

Looking for some help/advice.  About 1-1/2 month ago, hubby and I had a 4 month old kitten hanging out in the back yard.  We put out food and made a little shelter and eventually were able to get him to the vet for shots.  We have now brought him inside.  He has adjusted well to the likes of comfy beds and food.  He loves our 8 year old cat but he isn’t too fond of us just yet.  I have been able to get him to eat out of my hand, and he sleeps on the bed with us.  He likes to be in the same room.  He is still very skiddish and doesn’t want to be petted as he runs from us when we approach .  I’m sure part of this is being a kitten and part of this is he was socialized outdoors.  
I think time will improve this but meanwhile he likes to nip at my older cat but I think in a playful way.  However, the older cat doesn’t care for it.  

My question:  how does one try to rid the negative behavior, nipping at my 8 year old cat particularly or scratching furniture ( we have lots of scratching posts) while trying to gain trust with him?

thanks for the help!