Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Blind and deaf kitten

Tabitha WeilerTabitha Weiler Millers CreekMember Posts: 45 ✭✭
A few weeks ago I was brought a roughly 3 week old kitten (Buddy)abandoned by the semi-feral mom. After less than a week, it was clear to me that something wasn't quite right. I was brought a litter of 3 kittens whose mom had not been seen in over a day in an area known for coyotes. They are about 1 week younger than Buddy. The litter are typical, playful kittens who run wild exploring the room and have no problem following me around or coming when called. I have now had Buddy to 2 different vet offices and both agree he is blind and deaf and that is probably why his mom dumped him in the rain at only 3 weeks old. I have him confined to the master bedroom by way of a board across the door. The other kittens have free run but he makes no effort to climb. A couple of my former mom cats tend to stay in the room with him and groom him and cuddle him. Other than the blind/deaf, both vets say he is reasonably healthy, just a little small. I'm feeding him a calorie booster daily, in addition to the wet kitten food and he enjoys nabbing some of my senior cat's extra gravy wet food. One problem I'm finding with him is being dirty. He has to dunk his face into the food to find it and so he gets filthy. Vet said since he is small, no more than 2x per week to get him wet as in a bath. I'm trying baby wipes after feeding but he's still getting so much gunk in his fur, he's a bit bald around his mouth. Same with his feet due to the litter box. He is a sweet boy and curls into my hand or body when I get close and I already have a small harness. My biggest concern right now is how best to keep him clean enough his fur doesn't get pulled out when the former mommas groom him.