Calories in this food?

Jessica HolbrookJessica Holbrook EvansvilleMember Posts: 38
edited 31 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
I'm trying to convince my sister in law to change her kitty (Twinkie) to wet food while she's still young. My sister-in-law told me she's having a lot of money problems and she agreed to try Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness wet food because she has B1G1 free coupons. The problem is that the feeding instructions say 2-3 cups (cups are 2.75 oz) per 5 pounds of body weight. That seems like WAAAY too much food. Does anything know the amount of calories in this food?

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 30 May, 2009
    Twinkie here is a list of foods that are cheaper, and do not contain Gluten. Whiskas Savory Ground pate - Chicken dinner, Mealtime, Bits 0 beef, Turkey and Giblets,( not Whiskas in gravy) The savory ground is vegetable and grain free. 9 Lives - Chicken dinner, Chicken and Tuna dinner, Turkey dinner, Chicken & Seafood dinner, Liver &Bacon Dinner, Prime grill with Beef. Friskies- Supreme Supper, mixed grill, Country style dinner, Poultry platter, Turkey and Giblets dinner. Pro Plan- Adult Chicken& liver entree, adult Turkey & Giblets entree I cannot find the ingredients for the Meow mix, all they give is the Nutritional A. Just looking at the way the stuff is packaged with the fruits and vegies on it tells me they are trying to get the attention of us humans and not what is meant for our cat, which is real meat. I see they have alot of fish flavours and gravies too, which I would stay away from. Show your sister this list and see what she thinks price wise. Is your sister's cat a kitten? let them eat as much as they want do not worry about calories until they reach about 8 months old, then start to have scheduled feedings. Most pet food companies list the calorie amount on their web sites, if not there is this chart here on this site. http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html The amount on the cans or bags is always overstated, do not feed that much. If not a kitten take weight of cat x by 13.6 and add 70 this will give you the amount of calories you need in a day.
  • Jessica HolbrookJessica Holbrook EvansvilleMember Posts: 38
    edited 30 May, 2009
    I can't find the as fed analysis anywhere so I emailed Del Monte/Meow Mix. Hopefully they cooperate and I can figure up the calorie content. Here are the ingredients for 2 of the varieties: Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness Chicken & Beef Cat Entrée in Gravy 2.75 oz. Chicken broth, chicken, beef, vegetables (carrots and peas), vegetable oil, food starch modified, natural & artificial flavors, tricalcium phosphate, cane sugar, guar gum, salt, calcium sulfate, carrageenan, choline chloride, parsley, minerals (magnesium oxide, ferrous sulfate monohydrate, zinc oxide, manganese sulfate monohydrate, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide), taurine, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin a supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), biotin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12), potassium chloride, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention). Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness Salmon & Tuna Cat Cuisine in Broth 2.75 oz. Fish broth, salmon, tuna, ocean fish, vegetables (carrots and peas), vegetable oil, natural & artificial flavors, cane sugar, guar gum, food starch modified, salt, parsley, minerals (magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodide, sodium selenite), carrageenan, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine, hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), biotin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12), potassium chloride, tricalcium phosphate, canthaxanthin color, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention).
  • Jessica HolbrookJessica Holbrook EvansvilleMember Posts: 38
    edited 30 May, 2009
    Oh, and Twinkie just turned 1 yesterday ;P so she's not quite a kitten anymore but I think she's young enough that my SIL can transition her to wet food quite easily.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 31 May, 2009
    Twinkie looking at those ingredients, im sorry I had to Cringe, there is sugar in there (Raises cats blood sugar), starches (this binds the food together), vegetables?? dont need those, and the list goes on..... here is a site that will tell you a bit on how pet food is made , etc.. http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1