Iams and Purina Boycotts

Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
edited 7 May, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
I guess I've been living under a rock or something, but there are boycotts on Iams/Eukanuba and Purina products because both parent companies test their products in labs where unecessary invasive procedures are done, and living conditions are horrid. An example is the "debarking" of dogs. I urge those of you who eat this stuff to join the boycott. Check out Iamscruelty.com. Me and my brother and dogs used to eat their stuff, but not anymore. Has anyone else heard about this?

Comments

• Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, Nora. I didn't hear about these specific charges, but I do know that these brands are generally not good. The protein in them is largely by-products, which means that it could be a lot of indigestible proteins that come from places like beaks, feet, fish scales and other stuff that's left over once they take the "usable" meat for human consumption. Some brands also will use meat from diseased or dead livestock, or tumors, etc. Iams in particular has gotten much cheaper about where they get their meat, since they were bought from a large food conglomerate. For many reasons, your human has made the right move.
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    To find out more about the insanity at Iams and Purina go to Iamscruelty.com and Uncaged Campaigns at http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm Ironically these companies put a lot of money into animal shelters and anti-cruelty campaigns at the expense of their lab animals that needlessly suffer.
  • Krissandra ShickKrissandra Shick PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 9
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh my gosh! I didn't know that my Iams weight control food is so bad. My mommy tried to feed me Nutro (I can't remember the specific type) and I refused to eat it. I didn't eat for two whole days!!! But I do like the gravy from the wet Max Cat food. Any suggestions for picky eaters?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We ate the same food as you. Mom and Dad switched us to Innova. They are trying to be sneaky about it by giving us part Iams and part Innova, increasing the Innova each time we eat. I would suggest that method for you. That way you will acclimate easier. So whatever food you switch to that's what I would do. But be warned, while you're changing your poo may really stank. Moo's is pretty bad. But that's normal when changing food. If you need recommendations for foods go to the thread started by Quigley about unbiased food info. That's how we found out about Iams not being so great.
  • Tara ScarlettTara Scarlett RaynhamMember Posts: 196
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Aunt Laura (the one with the little loud doggie) told my Mommy that Iams is full of chemicals and fillers that are no good for me. Mommy took the time to read the package and switched me to Nutro Max. Did you try the salmon Nutro? It was delicious! *licks lips*
  • Kristen MangoKristen Mango Chapel HillMember Posts: 40
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yeah, my mommy used to feed our predecessor Iams, but now that she has us and is more label-saavy we get Mother Hubbard Wellness. She's still not sure if she likes that there are grains in it, but it's not white and still the first few ingredients are human-grade meat. There are lots of nice flavors of the wet food. I think brands like Wellness, Nutro, Innova, are great -- and not really more expensive than Iams. Iams sure is expensive for not being better than any other supermarket brand.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yeah, and they're mean to animals. Go figure.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, and one thing that's neat about wellness is the cranberries for urinary health. And of course like the other better brands -- no by-products, preservatives/flavorings, corn/corn gluten meal, pre-processed grains, etc... My mom is sort of new to this, she was just alarmed at the Iams thing last year and so ended up spending the night up on the computer, comparing food ingredients.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Innova has cranberries too, and cruelty free like Wellness. It seems to me the more humans become aware of the really good foods out there the more obsolete companies like Iams become. The only way companies like that ever change is if they start losing money.
  • Sari IvaskaSari Ivaska HelsinkiMember Posts: 23
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Iams cruelty story is old (2003). For fairness sake, after visiting www.iamscruelty.com you might wanna visit also www.iamstruth.com We don't eat Iams since there's better brands available. However, there's plenty of cats who eat only marketfood and comparing to those brands Iams is still quality petfood. The number one basic rule picking the catfood is to check the first ingredient on the list. If it's something else than meat, don't buy the product (e.g. in Whiskas Dry it's corn, in Friskies Dry it's corn and rice). There's an excellent article in http://www.messybeast.com/cat-food-industry.htm for all of you interested in catfood industry. Mom found a new brand for us! It's called Almo Nature and we love it. If you open a can of Adult Cats Tuna and Shrimps you'll understand what I mean; there's whole shrimps and parts of tuna inside. Mom said that she felt like using it in her own salad! And the tuna is catched without harming delphins. Somehow that makes Mom happy as does the fact that it's organic food. Almo Nature (Italy) wet food: *made up of a main food type (75%) which, once cooked, stays naturally fresh in its own juice (24%) and 1% organic rice *authentic, simple, additive-free *fish caught in the open sea and not farmed *hormone-free meat from free range animals holistic croquettes: *dry food containing more than 26% fresh meat, unlike meat meal and dehydrated meat it is made solely from muscle (used in food for human consumption) and adipose parts so it's easier digest and has higher proportion of nutritive substances *primary ingredients of organic origin (e.g. chicken, cheese, fish) *low magnesium content, excellent calcium/phosphorus ratio and fruit oligosaccharide-enriched *naturally preserved in rosemary oil and a vitamin E mix
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for the advice. Label savvy is very important. That food sounds yummy! As far as Iams goes, we checked out Iamstruth. They've made their statement about ethics, but three separate organizations; PETA, Uncaged Campaigns, and CHAI (concern for Animals in Israel) have found no evidence that there has been any stop to the invasive testing and vivisections. Nor have they been allowed to inspect their new research facilities. If what these groups say is untrue I bet Proctor & Gamble, Purina, and Colgate Palmolive (who owns Science Diet) would have sued the pants off these groups. They haven't. Neither have the Iams researchers whose pictures, along with descriptions of experiments they've done, are posted at Iamscruelty. I have serious doubts that Iams has done anything except close its research facilities to public scrutiny. We know as well as anybody that PETA goes overboard on a lot of things, but there seemed to be to many other voices on this one to let it go.
  • Krissandra ShickKrissandra Shick PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 9
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi everyone! Thanks for all of the great ideas for switching my brand of food. I am committed to getting off Iams, and I will try my best to gradually replace it with one of the nice suggestions!!
  • Beth TheveBeth Theve ColumbusMember Posts: 27
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My sister would have died without Iam's kitten formula!! It was the ONLY food she would eat when she was sick! We suggest you go look at www.iamstruth.com. The Big Lady we live with has worked with many consumer products companies, and has seen how false accusations and setups turn into viral boycott campaigns on the web. She thinks it's a shame for anybody to make up their mind without seeing all the facts and making an INFORMED decision.
  • vicky delfossevicky delfosse BrusselsMember Posts: 5
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My humans stopped buying Iams in 2004 when they heard about the cruelty, we can't prove it but we have heard about it from many different organisations. Even if it's only partly true it is still awful and should be stopped. I have to eat Hills KD for my kidney trouble, yuck!!!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Just a few thoughts: Is there really any such thing as "cruelty-free" food that is made out of slaughtered animals? What is a by-product? I mean, gelatin is a meat by-product, and humans put artifical flavor and color in it and think it's a great treat. And a cat's natural food consists of the entire body of its prey, bones, fur/feathers, skin, organs, etc. and not just a few select muscles. Are fillers necessarily bad? Sometimes fillers are added to provide more tummy-satisfying bulk without making the food too nutrient-dense (which can contribute to obesity). Generally, pet foods have to meet certain standards in order to be marketed as nutritionally complete. This is true for the cheapest generic foods to the most expensive 'premium' brands. So is it that the 'premium' foods are really better or are our humans just being duped into paying extra for a designer label? And what if we disagree and decide we like the less expensive foods better? Should we be forced to eat something we don't like because our humans feel better when they spend more money on us? Our mommy searched high and low for a good food for us. It wasn't easy because I am a picky eater but even more because my sister, the Beast, has a sensitive stomach. We tried more expensive and less expensive brands. Most recently we have been eating Purina One Sensitive System formula because I like it ok and Beastie hasn't been throwing it up like she did so many of the other kinds. We hate to hear that Purina may have engaged in some unnecessarily cruel tests. We are going to continue to search for other foods that suit both my palate and Beastie's sensitive stomach, but I don't know if we will find many good alternatives. Our mommy found a good article about pet foods and how they are made (warning: it is very long, although it is really informative). http://www.messybeast.com/cat-food-industry.htm
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oops, I don't know how I missed that Kirre had already posted a link to the same article that we read. I guess I just read too fast (for a cat). Thanks for the link, Kirre. : )
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, animals in the wild may devour their entire prey -- which is why supermarket brands should be more proportional rather than just dominate with the beaks + corn. It's not like it's actually *bad* for cats to eat Meow Mix or whatever (In fact I hear it's very tasty much like our greasy takout). It's just that you can feed them a more well-rounded diet for longevity and (well, this is debatable) their energy. Of course some cats, especially older ones, are picky, but my cats love their food. Sometimes it can seem over the top -- like I try to make sure my cats *always* eat well and treats are just a bonus -- whereas my husband and I will have junky dinners/beers several nights in a row, etc, . But if we had kids we wouldn't let them partake and to me my cats are kids :) My vet has a thriving 21 year old cat she still takes out on the leash and I hope upon hope that my kitties live a long, healthy life too. My old cat Michi suffered from UTI's and kidney problems (apparently very common), so personally that's why we were intrigued in particular by the brands with cranberries for urinary health.
  • Elizabeth DunnElizabeth Dunn San Antonio/ College StationMember Posts: 22
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have to say that I take all of the boycott stuff with a grain of salt. Mom says that nobody but prey should have to die for my food and I agree but sometimes stuff gets pretty exaggerated on the internet. One thing that made Mom decide on better food for us was seing the difference in coat health/ urinary tract health/ energy level in Gramma's kitties when they were switched to Nutro. Wow! Them old kitties can really move!
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Okaaay -- Now I think I got the picture!! The cat mother was always really careful about our food, but we (me, jacques & the cat mother) have noticed that something was starting to be "not right" even with brands we trusted. I have been feeling sluggish (no giggles, please) and now that I think about it, if you read the fine print, many of the okay foods went big corporate/conglomerate and, well-- you know what That means. (Right on, Hattie!) So we will tell the cat mother to do some research and check out other brands. Hey, Thanks Much!