Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Nature\'s Variety \"Product Withdrawal\"

BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
edited 15 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
NV has "withdrawn" some of its freeze-dried raw products for dogs/cats. A link was posted on one of my lists: http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/06/13/natures-variety-theyre-calling-it-a-product-withdrawal/ In case the link doesn't work: withdrawal” By Christie Keith June 13, 2009 I went into San Francisco’s Pet Food Express today, as always on the lookout for treats that Kyrie can and will eat. (Don’t tell me to cook, dudes; I’m already making their food, I just want to buy some freaking cookies!) And there was a big sign on the door when I walked in, announcing that a number of Nature’s Variety foods had been removed from the shelves (I’ve added a couple of paragraph breaks to improve readability): Nature’s Variety has withdrawn one lot of their freeze-dried beef and one lot of their freeze-dried chicken products due to a discrepancy between their specifications and those of the products as produced. As of today, we still have no word as to what the specific problem is or how it could affect pets, only the manufacturer’s assurance that it does not pose a hazard. We are concerned, however, that because Nature’s Variety coats all of their kibbled products with a “bio-coating,” which includes freeze-dried chicken and beef, that whatever problem may exist in the withdrawn products could also affect their Prairie and Instinct dry food lines. Therefore, we have elected to remove all of the Nature’s Variety dry foods from our shelves until we can be confident that they are safe. Additionally, the Nature’s Variety Raw Chicken and Beef diets are identical in composition to the freeze dried diets except that the moisture has not been removed. Therefore, we are also placing a hold on their sale until the situation is clear. Their canned products are not affected. The specific products being withdrawn by Nature’s Variety are Nature’s Variety Freeze Dried Raw Beef Formula, 12 oz., UPC 769949602514, and Nature’s Variety Freeze Dried Raw Chicken Formula, 12 oz., UPC 769949601517, with a “Best if used by” date of 05/25/10. Now, kudos to Pet Food Express for stripping all products they thought could be affected off their shelves. That’s a prudent course of action, and they did a good job getting the word out; the warnings are all over the store and on their website as well. And, I guess, half a kudo to Nature’s Variety for not using the “voluntary recall” spin that all the other pet food companies do, as if there was any other kind (FDA has no recall authority over any foods but infant formula). However, given that they apparently asked Pet Food Express not to call this a “recall,” and PFE complied, I’m thinking it’s more because they didn’t want anyone like, oh, me, to go on the Interwebz and say, “Nature’s Variety foods recalled.”

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 June, 2009
    Great job Oliver! We knew more problems would sow up, but now I can put the links in a diary. Even with vigilance we just don't know whom to trust day to day. Thanks! Hazel Lucy