Are Bonsai Trees Poisonous?

Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
edited 15 June, 2009 in Plus Informational
I think bonsai's are cool, and I'd like to get one, but not if they'll hurt my Chey. Any one have a bonsai or bonsai experience? I know the ones with fruit are bad. ~Human~

Comments

• Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 31 March, 2009
    Hey Chey! Mom has a young one that we just got maybe 8 or 9 months ago. She keeps it in the kitchen window. I ate a few leaves when she first got it but I haven't eaten any leaves since. Once in a while somecat (we're not telling) goes by the sink and knocks her bonsai tree in the kitchen sink. Mom hasn't seen any leaves missing when we do that. Mom has some catnip plants right next to the bonsai tree and we never touch the catnip! :-O They have a variegated serissa.
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 1 April, 2009
    Depends what kind of bonsai it is. If the full-grown version of the plant is poisonous, the baby tree will be too.
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 1 April, 2009
    Frodo's right. There are many kinds of bushes and trees you can drawf down. Some are toxic and some are not. Meows, Biscuit
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 2 April, 2009
    Alright... thanks kits!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Don\'t forget that bonsai trees need regular maintenance in order to keep them small and lovely. I\'ve never had one myself, but I\'ve seen people tending their bonsai trees--it\'s kind of a hobby, like gardening, and takes a bit of skill. Research which plants are poisonous to cats, and also do a bit of research on how much effort you may have to expend on taking care of your bonsai tree. You may decide that it\'s not worth the trouble. Greenery in a house is a lovely thing, but after having my cats eat every kind of plant or flower I brought home, I finally gave up, and now just have fake plants here and there. The good news is that you don\'t have to water them, the cats don\'t eat them, and they actually look better than the real thing. Just a thought.
  • edited 15 June, 2009
    Mom booby traps her houseplants. She puts 2 inch squares of clear packing tape, sticky side up, all around her plants. :-O After pulling a few of those off our paws, we tend to steer clear of them. :))