Have Greenies Pill Pockets been recalled?

Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
edited 16 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
A friend informed me that Greenies Pill Pockets for dogs, made by Nutro, along with Nutro dog food, have been added to the recall list. I checked both the FDA and Nutro websites and didn't see anything about it. Has anyone else heard about or know anything about it? Didn't the food recall involve unsafe levels of nutrients? What nutrients could possibly be in pills pockets that they would be deemed unsafe and recalled? It makes me wonder what's really going on! It's critical that I find out because I take my pills in pill pockets and now mommy is scared! If Greenies for dogs are recalled, what are the chances that Greenies for cats won't be, because they're basically the same product? :(:(

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 2 June, 2009
    Hi Kaci, the Greenies have not been recalled........... yet! but here is the article about the greenies http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/05/nutro_greenies.html
  • edited 2 June, 2009
    Darn those extra spaces! Made a linky for ya: Nutro Greenies :D
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 2 June, 2009
    Thank you Shadow and Loki! =;
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Why is it that all Nutro products seem to be sketchy? I mean, they're not blatantly bad, but things keep popping up. And all the cases were with the dog Greenies, but the cat ones seem to be totally different, are they bad too?
  • Sarah_PinkSarah_Pink Chapel HillMember Posts: 153 ✭✭
    edited 5 June, 2009
    I'm glad I don't use their products any more. Only used the feline greenies briefly and then my cats decided they didn't like them anymore. They've not been affected by the recall, but even so, I'd rather not use those treats. The part of the email I got from my vet's office said this, "NUTRO(R) NATURAL CHOICE(R) COMPLETE CARE(R) Dry Cat Foods and NUTRO(R) MAX(R) Cat Dry Foods with "Best If Used By Dates" between May 12, 2010 and August 22, 2010" and apparently it's a voluntary recall. Had something to do with incorrect levels of zinc and potassium.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 5 June, 2009
    Also, why should a dog chew require such intense education on its use? I mean, it's like they're saying only trained professionals can use these things properly without problems.
  • Rachel HicksRachel Hicks Littleton/DenverMember Posts: 23,738
    edited 7 June, 2009
    Hi Kaci Sunshine for more info regarding the safety of Nutro please read my last diary post. Also one of the nutrients that was off balance was zinc. Please click Here to read about too much zinc in a cats diet.
    edited 7 June, 2009
    Thank you TC. Even though I know that too much potassium can be deadly, I had no idea that too much zinc in the diet has such dire consequences. :(( When meowmy first bought pill pockets, they were simply called Pill Pockets and made by a different company. They were a better product too! We didn\'t know Greenies are made by Nutro until a few weeks ago. Now we\'re worried because Nutro makes Greenies pill pockets. It\'s very difficult for meowmy to give me pills and the pill pockets have worked out very well. Now meowmy doesn\'t know what to do!
    edited 7 June, 2009
    Hobert & Osiris :-h We don't eat Nutro either. We tried the canned Nutro and Max Cat about 3 years ago -- before the recall -- and didn't like them, thank cats! Since the 2007 recall, we are very suspicious of every brand of food involved in the recall and don't eat any of them. If meowmy remembers right, when they first came out, dogs were choking on the Greenies dental chews. It really does make you wonder why a dog treat comes with special instructions and needs to be ok'd by a vet! Meowmy didn't know that Greenies were made by Nutro. I once was a Greenies addict but meowmy stopped giving them to me. However, I still take my pills in Greenies pill pockets -- and I admit I love them! -- but meowmy is getting very nervous about giving them to me. Meowmy does know how to get pills down our throats and does it every day with my sister Mittens. But I act like a tiger when it comes to taking pills and meowmy doesn't have anyone to help her with it. I don't like people food and I don't like baby food, so meowmy can't put my pills in any treat foods like that. What to do?
  • Rachel HicksRachel Hicks Littleton/DenverMember Posts: 23,738
    edited 7 June, 2009
    Are your pills tablets or capsules? I had to take prednisone which tasted really gross. Mommy ground it up & put it in tiki cat which I loved. Check with your vet though because I've heard some pills can't be crushed or it changes them somehow. Also your vet can tell you about compounding I think it's called where they can make your medicine taste better.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 7 June, 2009
    I\'ve never seen pill pockets in Japan and I am a master cat piller. One tried and true method is wrap Kitty in a towel, as if she were a mummy, and somehow force her mouth open and get the pill in. All my present cats take pills, when necessary, very easily, without the mummy treatment. But for some reason, Spike, the only non-Maine Coon in the bunch, hates eye meds--he gets the occasional eye infection and sometimes needs eyedrops. A twenty-pound cat who doesn\'t want stuff put in his eyes, to the point that he would prefer to claw you to death, is not a laughing matter. Sorry to be OT. We have seen pill crushers at cat shows--apparently they reduce the pill to a powder, which, if you\'re lucky, can be mixed in with Kitty\'s food and Kitty won\'t notice. I\'d recommend some smelly canned food for this--my crew are mad about smelly but nutritionally deficient canned food, but if you\'re trying to get meds inside Kitty\'s tummy, it\'s one way to go. Good luck.
    edited 8 June, 2009
    I take methimazole pills for hyperthyroidisim. The pill is cut into quarters and I get 1/4 pill in the morning and 1/4 pill in the evening, so they\'re very small. I think it\'s ok to crush methimazole. Meowmy will try sprinkling it in my food but if I decide I\'m not going to eat that food (which happens occasionally), then it could be a problem . . . :D Harvey, we have a pill crusher/pill cutter thingy. The top part has a lid with a blade and a space where you line the pill up. When you close the lid, it cuts the pill in two. There\'s another compartment that you unscrew and then put the pill in the compartment. You use the upper part to crush the pill into a powder. Meowmy likes the wrapping in towel suggestion too. She knows she\'d be able to do it once but however will she do it twice? Even though I\'m 13 yrs old, I\'m still very fast and very agile and the sight of the towel would have me running. Did you know I can flatten myself and squeeze under things that meowmy swears I\'m too big to get under? :))
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 June, 2009
    Kaci: Methimizole can be formulated to be given in methods other than pills - chewable treats, or transdermal pens and gels. Talk to your vet about it. :-h
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 8 June, 2009
    Yes, a lot of meds can be made available in various forms, including liquid. It might or might not be easier to get Kitty to accept a liquid medicine than a pill, but it's worth a try. Totally OT, but my father, who was was a lovely person in his own way, had a pill problem. He simply couldn't swallow them. Well, he developed heart disease, diabetes, and other things (he died at 81), and darned if he didn't master the trick of taking pills. Don't know about cats, but Humans who realize that their lives are in jeopardy CAN learn to take pills. My advice? Talk to your cat. They understand a lot more that most of us give them credit for, and while pill crushers and pouches are probably the best way to go, talk to Kitty. It sometimes works. Cats don't want to die anymore than my father did--they are not stupid and in many cases can figure out, as my Daddy did, that taking the medicine can extend their lifespans. Really. Have a heart to heart with your cat, and pilling may become easier.
  • Brenna StarchBrenna Starch La CrosseMember Posts: 4
    edited 8 June, 2009
    I am taking Methimizole for Hyperthyroidism. My vet had it compounded into a cream that my owner can rub on my ear.
    edited 9 June, 2009
    Thank you all for the great advice! Did I hear the word Treat? I love treats! Can you really get methimazole made into treats? I\'m definitely asking my vet about it! :))
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 June, 2009
    Yup! They can make chewable tabs that come in one of a few flavors. Salmon, chicken, beef, etc!
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June, 2009
    I read somewhere about a water-activated piller. Can't recall where but it was just this week. We're throwing out the Pill Pockets. Maybe mom can use cheese if I need pills again. There just has to be a better way than taking chances with any Nutro products. Hazel Lucy
  • edited 16 June, 2009
    MOL Chibi! :)) :))! :)) Mom does talk to me when giving me my pills (4 x a day). She sits on the floor, bends one leg, and tucks me in the crook of her knee. Then she tips my head back firmly, presses her thumb at the side of my mouth and says \"OPEN\". I\'ve learned to oblige. Mom\'s made it easy, though. Since we\'re raw fed cats, she just wraps the pill in a bit of meat or chicken skin. When she tucks it into the back of my mouth, it slides right on down quicker than a wink. ;) :D ;)