Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Shocking Discovery for Mail Carrier

Leah MacDonaldLeah MacDonald BostonMember Posts: 714
BOSTON -- "A U.S. postal carrier got a surprise over the weekend when he went to collect mail from a postal box in Hyde Park and found a tiny kitten trapped inside. This kitten spent a day in a Hyde Park mailbox before being discovered by a letter carrier. The baby feline, dubbed "Postina" after she was discovered, spent most of Saturday inside the box after being pushed through the small mail opening at the top sometime the day before, according to the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The 2-pound, 8-week-old kitten dropped several feet onto the envelopes and packages below. With the help of another Good Samaritan, the postal carrier quickly brought her to the MSPCA Animal Care and Adoption Center in Jamaica Plain. Postina has now had several days of nourishment and rest as well as a round of vaccinations and the MSPCA said she is ready for adoption. Pet surrender is becoming more prevalent in Massachusetts as the recession continues to leave pet owners struggling financially, the MSPCA said. The organization, which tracks reasons for animal surrender to its adoption centers, said that more than 28,000 animals were left in 2008 and it has noted a 48 percent increase this year, with pet owners citing financial reasons for surrendering their pets. The MSPCA offers assistance programs so owners can keep their pets, including low cost spay and neuter surgeries starting at $50 per pet, including vaccinations, microchip ID and veterinary exam. The MSPCA is also reminding the public that animal abandonment is a felony crime punishable by up to a $2,500 fine and five years in prison. Anyone with information regarding Postina’s abandonment is urged to contact the MSPCA’s Law Enforcement department at 617-522-6008 or (800) 628-5808. Surrendering an animal to the MSPCA is free and can be done 24 hours a day/ seven days a week through the MSPCA-Boston Animal Care and Adoption Center or the Angell Animal Medical Center. To donate to the MSPCA-Angell’s General Fund and help animals such as Postina please visit www.mspca.org." How awful of someone :( But the good news is, a friend of Mom's called and the kitty is doing just fine :) I am sure there will be a long list of adopters. She is a very sweet girl says MSPCA staff, and investigations are absolutely under way as well. Lets hope they are vigilant and find this horrible person. And best of luck for Postina and her new family. A picture of "Postina" and the article above can be found here: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19766184/detail.html# She is soo adorable!

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Clicked on the link, and she IS a precious kitten!!! Thank goodness the Mail Carrier found her in time. She could have died from the heat. Know she will adopt someone soon...... The New Orleans Kitties
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 17 February, 2011
    so surrendering your animal is free in maryland? not so in michigan. i was calling around for help for momcat ayla and her 3 babies-had just found out about the babies. since i had fed this cat every so often since last october-when i saw she had a litter then, too-i would have to pay to surrender momcat and her kittens, and would never be able to adopt from a shelter (at least in michigan, don\'t know if i\'d go on a nationwide \"no adopt\" list) because i had surrendered animals that \"belonged\" to me! since a surrender fee for four animals is beyond my current means, especially to a kill shelter, and since it\'s just BARELY possible i might decide to adopt from a shelter at some point in my life? all 4 came inside, two kittens have been adopted, i\'m looking for a home for momcat ayla, and i\'m keeping the remaining kitten.:-/ (i\'d have kept ayla and found a home for the kitten, but ayla wants to kill one of my cats, and my other cat wants to kill ayla...:?)
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Around here, you have to pay to surrender a pet that was yours, but for feral cats there is no charge. Meowma recently had to trap and take away two very wild Toms from the house here, and one half grown, but very skinny kitty that seemed terrified but sweet she found hanging around the doctor's office grounds--we think she was dumped. They did take a not of Meowma's name, etc. it was explained this was to make sure she wasn't getting a bunch of pets and not caring for them. But, they were obviously not pet cats.
  • Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Member Posts: 2,708
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Hi Kats, How do I click on the link for that site to read about the cute kitty mailbox Kat? I\'m sure she\'s gonna be place in a wunnerful fureva home. :^:
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 17 February, 2011
    The fact that it was a mailbox was unique. But people "dispose" of kittens in various locales every day. Many purrs for Postina, and I'm sure she'll find a good home. But kittens who are abandoned in less unusual places need a chance, too. My Spike was abandoned in a park--either he was a feral born there, or actually dumped off--is not clear. He was lucky because he was rescued and ended up at my vet's, where he adopted me. I am a licensed breeder--still a novice, with a lot to learn. Obviously, this means that I have intact cats. But they are bred according to schedule, and finding good homes for the kittens is my most important goal. However, all of my "pet" cats have been spayed and neutered. It never occurred to me that not doing so was an option. Postina was not a feral born in a park. She was the equivalent of a baby left at a church door. Someone was irresponsible in letting Postina be born. I hope that she has a happy life after this. Check out the issue of human babies being abandoned. China is highlighted, since the one-child policy means that some parents abandon their girl babies the way some people abandon animals. Check YouTube. You will cry. Why people have no respect for life, be it animal or human, is beyond me.