Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

High Quality Dry with Lower Quality Wet?

Kristin JensenKristin Jensen TempeMember Posts: 60
edited 22 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Hi there. I\'m just wondering if it would be better to feed my two 8 month old kittens high quality dry food with lower quality wet food. They currently eat Wellness Core Dry food in the morning and Wellness Canned at night. It\'s getting to be quite expensive and I\'m considering switching to a lower quality wet food. When I say lower quality, I don\'t mean like Fancy Feast or other crap food, I was thinking about Natual Balance. I would love to feed Innova, but I can get a lot more coupons for Natural Balance because it\'s at Petco. Just need some opinions on this matter. Also, does anyone think it would be better to switch to a lower quality dry and a high quality wet food? Thanks for the input!

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 19 June, 2009
    If I understand the wet food people correctly, the purpose is to give the cat added water intake, as cats don't have a strong thirst drive, and don't seem to get enough water. :D Bumpurr will not eat any of the better quality wet foods, so I don't have that delima, but how I did increase water intake, and this is with my vets approval. One teaspoon baby food, Beechnut or Gerber, chicken or turkey ONLY, mixed with water, so it is like a broth, once a day. :D I feed a quality dry food, and use the baby food for increased water intake. Never use chicken broth, as it is too high in salt, never use tuna oil/water, it has mercury, is too high in salt, and something about the oil, that they cannot digest, the others can prob give a better explanation of that. :D Since money is an issue, and I understand that, going thru it myself right now, I would opt for the better quality dry food, and skip the lesser quality wet food. Don't know alot about Natural Balance, you would have to read the label. :D Here is a link to help you, and best of luck, with whatever you decide. :D http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.catinfo.org/
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 19 June, 2009
    decreased thirst drive? i guess it depends on the cat. all four of our current resident kitties are sponges...five counting the momcat in heat in coventry, who was absolutely the thirstiest cat i\'ve ever seen when i brought her in. she drank half a bowl of water in one draught, without coming up for air...and she was on the DIY raw diet. and when you watch nature shows, don\'t the lions, tigers, cheetahs, etc. drink water? pretty greedily, from what i\'ve seen. yes, kitties evolved from desert creatures. this means that they are able to survive longer without water than you or i-it does NOT mean they have a decreased thirst drive, don\'t need water, or anything except: they can survive longer without water than you or i could. anyway...if your concern is fluid intake and that\'s why you\'re feeding wet-if that\'s your ONLY reason-in my opinion bumpurr is right. just go with a good dry and fresh water until you find a wet food you feel comfortable with and can afford.
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 June, 2009
    One way to decrease cost on wet food is to buy the larger cans. Not every food comes in larger cans, but some do (you should be able to find out by checking the mfr's website). Innova comes in 13.2 oz cans. We pay $1.79 for the 13.2 oz can (14¢ per oz), about $1.29 for the 5.5 oz can (23¢ per oz), and some ridiculous price like $1.19 for the 3 oz can (40¢ per oz). The larger can is a much better bargain. The store also gives a discount for buying a case at a time and has a club-type card where you get a credit after so many purchases. It's a small independent pet food store, though, not a chain, but we've found that many of the small stores offer some type of discount to regular customers. So check around for some deals at other stores and on bigger cans, if you decide to continue feeding wet.
  • Kristin JensenKristin Jensen TempeMember Posts: 60
    edited 19 June, 2009
    Yeah, the water intake is not really an issue. I've just bought the Drinkwell Platinum fountain and they seem to like that. I feed wet because I've heard that it's bad to only feed dry. I do buy the biggest cans at the store because they are cheaper. The money situation isn't that big of a deal. I've calculated that, at the rate I'm going with feeding only Wellness Core dry food for two kittens soon to be adults, it will cost me around$75 a year for food forthe two of them. I just tend to think that whatever money I can save on something, that saved money can be put toward my emergency veterinary fund, just in case anything were ever to happen. I'm not saying that I want to cut corners with the food, because I understand the huge health benefits of high quality food. But, I just want to know if wet food is really nessesary for a balanced diet if they drink plenty of water and are on a high quality dry food. Thanks! :D
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 20 June, 2009
    Dash it is cheaper if you buy the bigger cans, I get Evo cat and kitten cheaper than the Natural Balance, and I rotate in Wellness wet and some raw. Cats when on a dry diet will not drink enough water to hydrate themselves, they are in a state of dehydration. Cats when they do not get the water they need they concentrate that in their Urine, then this causes all sorts of problems. Here is a site that you can read about it. Also feeding an all wet diet is best, but for financial reasons if that is not possible you could look into raw aswell, it can be cheaper, but answering your question feed the higher qaulity dry and a cheaper wet. Link about dry food
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 21 June, 2009
    We feed our cats Natural Balance wet & dry, I do not consider it a lesser quality at all. So, if that's what you want to switch to you'll be doing good. =;
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 21 June, 2009
    Dash, $75 a year? Where do you live, and if so can mommy visit so she can stock up on Wellness Core? :D My mommy says that she spends no less than $25 a month averaged out, and that's just on dry food (keep in mind we do not buy the 12 lbs bag, mom feels that even with an air-proof container the food will get stale sooner than we can go through a 12 lbs bag, we buy 5 lbs bags). We spend another $20 on average on wet. I will mention something: Wellness at Petco is in my experience can be more expensive than if you find it at a local feed store, unless they are having a sale, in which case you are tied to their sales insofar as what you can afford of Wellness. For example, I can get a 5 lbs bag of Wellness Core at my local feed store for about $22, the same thing at Petco was about $24 the last time I checked... and while they offered you 5 cans of the 3 oz Wellness, that was only for a week or 2, and everyone knows that 3 oz cans will barely satisfy one meal for one cat. I noticed the same with other wet foods that my cats will occasionally eat that are also carried at big chains. For example, we'd buy Avoderm wet (helps with our cats' coat in a way that even Wellness can't beat, and the cats like the variety) from Petco or Petsmart, and it was between $1.29 to $1.39, whereas my local feed store sells it for $1.19. It is only a 10c difference, sure, but as you well know, it can quickly add up! I'd suggest you look at local feed store, if nothing else so you can get the cheapest deal on everything you can. As for more affordable but still quality brands that you can try, I've heard that Blue Buffalo is a good one to try. I'd suggest Avoderm, but we've only ever tried their wet food, and it does contain some avocado pulp which turns off quite a lot of owners, for fears that pits (which are toxic to cats) might find their way in there.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 21 June, 2009
    I think you will be fine feeding Core and Natural Balance. Natural Balance is a great food.
  • Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
    edited 21 June, 2009
    Dash is that Drinkwell Plantinum Fountain not great? I actually got mine FREE. The cat rescue I volunteer for goes dumpster diving at Petsmart. It wasn't in the box and had no instructions, but it's pretty much common sense how to set it up. Behr went right to, Lilly and Pepper were a little more cautious about it, but now all drink out of it, even me. I even got a collapsible crate.. The only thing that was wrong with it was the handle was broken, but I can fix that. That goodness for dumpsters.
  • Kristin JensenKristin Jensen TempeMember Posts: 60
    edited 22 June, 2009
    Yeah, I really try to keep the costs low with coupons and such. I totally know what you mean about the local feed stores being cheaper than Petco. First, I only buy when there are sales. Then what I do is I get a price match from a local pet store and use it at Petco, which gets the price down to $32.80 for a 12 lb bag of Wellness Core. Then, I use coupons from Petco and any competitor (Petsmart) plus manufacturer coupons, which gets the price down to about $15-$17 per bag. Finally, I purchase Petco gift cards on Craigslist at half the value of what they're worth. Therefore, if I buy a bag at Petco for $15 with my gift card, I end up only spending $7.50 for a 12 lb bag of Wellness Core when it was originally worth about $42. In my opinion, if you put some effort into it, anyone can afford a pet and feed it one of the highest quality food available commercially. But back on topic, I think we'll keep trying to integrate them into Natural Balance wet. They don't really like change, but they'll be fine after a while.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 22 June, 2009
    Dash, I think Natural Balance is a pretty good food. Certainly on par with the regular Wellness, although the Wellness Core is better, in my opinion. My personal recommendation would be to eliminate the dry food altogether and go 100% wet, and/or 100% raw, or a combination, IF you are ok with raw food. If not, then canned is fine, and certainly better than any dry. Another fairly high quality food available at Petco is Avoderm - when it goes on sale, it can get down to around 89 cents a can.