Kitten not interested in food?

Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
edited 27 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
This is a new thing for me, all of our other pets are highly food motivated. We've had Zelda for two weeks now and she's really meshed well with everyone. However, she's really skinny and I feel like she should be eating more. Right now she gets 1/3c science diet kitten food free fed and at night 1/5 a can of science diet kitten wet. This was what the rescue had her on, and when it runs out we'll switch her to Natural Balance like our other animals. She tends to nibble mostly at night, but the past few morning I've checked it and a lot is still left. Is this normal? Should I just go ahead and begin switching her? And what are good really tempting treats for kittens? Thanks!

Comments

• SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Maybe she doesn\'t care for the food? I would be trying different flavors/brands until I found something she will eat. We feed different brands so we don\'t get tired of eating the same thing all the time.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 13 June, 2009
    That's what I was wondering, and I can't blame her for not liking the Science Diet.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 13 June, 2009
    It does take a good 14 days for kittens to adjust to their new home and start acting normal, eating, drinking, cat box, ets. :D Kittens should be on kitten food only, until they are 7-8 months old, they need the extra nutrition and calories that kitten foods provide. In my opinion, I would get her off the Science Diet, its basicly not that good quality and has been know to cause alot of issues. The others can best recommend better quality kitten foods. My kittens were started on Purina Kitten chow, by the breeder, and any attempt to get them off it, resulted in diarea and throwing up, so my vet said to just leave them on it, until they were 7 months old. Again had a lot of issues trying to get them changed over, so my vet said wait another month. At 8 months, got one week into the change over, and had issues again, this time, she said keep going, and thankfully, this time it worked. Purina Kitten Chow is not one I would recommend, but I had no choice. Usually kittens eat like little truck drivers, mol, mine did, and still do, which is why they go put on scheduled feedings. Kittens also do have worms, and need to be seen, and treated by a vet for this. Never ever try to treat for worms yourself, and especially for kittens. At this age, she should be on a vacine schedule, your vet will tell you what shots she needs, and at what age, and he/she should of also mentioned worming. She is so cute!! Best of luck with her!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Zelda, when Gracie came home she was very interested in food... in our case we switched her immediately (because the lady at the rescue said that Wellness Core, which Boris was already on, would be better than what she was eating at the time). But after a few days, her consumption went down. The vet said it was probably caused by a URI, as sometimes the lack of appetite shows before the symptoms... Sure enough, we got her on antibiotics and she started eating, but she started sneezing too. She never got too bad, though. You can never exercise enough vigilance with small kittens in our experience... If something does not look right, it probably isn't. Call the vet and ask if s/he thinks Serafina will need to be seen. Gracie's vet got used to my frequent calls, it's par for the course for a kitten to be less than healthy but masking it with play behavior at first... Gracie was never really sick, but she did come with little problems... All kittens do... It took us about 2-3 months to get Gracie actually healthy between the initial URI and a really stubborn case of earmites. I agree that if you have better food you use for your other kitty, you might want to look for a kitten formula in the same brand (or better yet, if the food is an all stages food, just switch her). Science Diet is probably not giving her all the nutrients she needs.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 13 June, 2009
    I would agree to switch slowly to a different diet. Some good ones are Wellness wet kitten, Evo cat and kitten wet. Treats would be Wellness jerky, or Halo liv alittles.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 13 June, 2009
    The best way to switch any food would be 75% of what they are eating now and 25% of what you want to change them to for two days. Then 50 /50 for two days. Then 75% new to 25% old for two days then after 6 days everything should be good to go. Though all kitties are different and may respond differently then mine did. Good luck and differently try other flavors and find a food with only real meat and no by_products or corn.
    edited 16 June, 2009
    Thanks everyone, she's on schedule to get her last shots in a couple of weeks. I've started giving her a small bit of Natural Balance wet (what Hobie is on) in the am and pm and boy does she gobble it down! I might go ahead and switch her to the dry for free feeding too and just donate the rest of the SD. she absolutely looooves the Catswell treats too. She's learning to come to us when we call and get a nummy. P.S. Her and Hobie have both started getting the sneezies, so I've already started them on L-lysine to see if it will help, usually it does.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 17 June, 2009
    Zelda, I just wanted to encourage you to continue with the feeding of the wet food and eliminate the dry. Free feeding leads to obesity and finicky cats, and dry food is not species appropriate. With Zelda being a kitten, which is when cats' food preferences are shaped, you have a wonderful opportunity to make sure that she will be as healthy as she can possibly be by only feeding her wet food (or raw, if you are comfortable with that.)
  • Christina MetzdorfChristina Metzdorf WorthingMember Posts: 47
    edited 17 June, 2009
    hey there! sorry if this has already been said, but i wanted to comment quickly that our little kitty Loki also didnt eat his food the first week he was here. He was on the brand of food his previous owners had him on, but he just didnt take to it. So I switched him to Natures Menu (a UK brand), didnt really bother with the slow change because he didnt even like the original stuff to begin with, and he has been gobbling up his food since! it might be worth it, if you really feel your little one isnt eating enough, to try out a better food for them. Maybe a little at first, but best they eat right? Good luck!
    edited 17 June, 2009
    Olivia, I am still free feeding the dry because she is so young. Once she hits 6 months that will stop. ;) Don't need no pudgy kitties.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 17 June, 2009
    Princess Zelda Serafina, you are too cute! I just wanted to say that you don\'t have to have her on kibble to provide her with enough calories/nutrition. I pretty quickly got my guys off of kibble when they were about 3 months of age and they have grown huge and strong. If you can swing it, you can just give her more meals of canned a day. My guys still get fed 3 x a day, a.m., right after work, and later in the evening. They definately did not miss out on getting anything wonderful from the kibble.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 17 June, 2009
    not everyone can afford to buy a whole lot of canned food, especially with multiple cats. just want to go on record that my two older kitties (kaya: a year and a half, approximately, & rhymon: eleven months) have been on: iams, meow mix (briefly-my roommate was like: it\'s on SALE!), and now purina one. dry. they also sometimes get 9-Lives canned, as a treat, and occasionally even TUNA, which is VERY exciting. :)) the kitten (jadyn: six weeks) is on purina kitten chow. so is momcat ayla, who is looking for a home as an only cat but lives here in coventry, because she is still nursing jadyn and is kinda on the thin side from being an outside momcat nursing 3 kittens. ayla was offered 9-Lives canned, and apparently did not believe it was food...hoping her kitten will be easier to convince, i do like them to at least be amenable to eating canned. kaya & rhymon are not in the least pudgy being free-fed dry. (i know, kaya weighs fourteen pounds-but she\'s also just a LOOOONG, TALL cat.) vet says their weights are good. their coats are shiny. they are happy & healthy. now, if they were having health issues on the diet they are on, i would look for other options. my friend\'s cat, meayah saye, has chronic diarrhea and vomiting on everything except: dick van patten dry food, pumpkin & boiled chicken. :? so that\'s what she gets. tried her on wellness...tried her on blue some critter or other...dick van patten is what finally worked, and it wasn\'t even as expensive as some of the other options. if what you feed works for you and your cats, hallelujah all praise to the Great Cat. but all cats do NOT have dull fur, develop obesity, lose their teeth and die young if free-fed dry. just ain\'t so.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 17 June, 2009
    Your right Kaya-Skye,some cats can last till they are twenty on grocery store brands, and some may live happy lives, they no doubt have good genes. Do they go their whole lives as healthy and as strong and long as they can, with absoulutely no problems?highly doubtful. So if one can afford it why not feed a higher quality, or raw diet, though I know that Raw is not expensive to feed, one just has to educate themselves before they delve into Raw feeding.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 17 June, 2009
    well, while Raw sort of appeals to me, it WOULD be too expensive for me. i've looked into it. the shipping costs would kill me, i can't afford another freezer and there wouldn't be room in the house for one even if i could-and there isn't room in the freezer compartment we have for Raw food and human food. sometimes when my roommate and i get groceries too close together in time, stuff that really should go in the freezer compartment gets stuck in the fridge and we just sort of pray, eat it first, and hope for the best. my transportation is limited to the bus, so making the rounds of various feeder shops or whatever is out of the question...and again, where to store the Raw critters:? like i said, as long as my cats are HEALTHY...and honestly, cats' life expectancy hasn't gone up as a function of their food, really. there are no industry standards for any cat food, it's all anecdotal. cats' life expectancy HAS gone up, but that's mostly due to more kitties being inside kitties, and the development of vaccines. i just think people need to be aware that EVERYTHING you read on catster and pretty much everything you read anywhere on the web on this subject is anecdotal evidence-which isn't really evidence at all, more like: well, it works great for me. cats with special problems may need special foods. but i don't think a cat necessarily is blessed with "great genes" just because they're eating the same thing generations of cats have eaten and doing well-just as those cats did. my parents' cats have all lived into their late teens-early twenties, with no problems not due to being outside kitties for a time and then extreme age. and they eat science diet. dry. and the generation before their current one used to eat a revolving diet of Friskies (semi-moist) Meow Mix (dry) and something called Tender Morsels, which was dry food shaped like a heart with a chewy center, and frankly smelled hideous.:? which means...it works great for them! (and that's all it means...making sense?)
    edited 18 June, 2009
    Our two older cats seem to be an anomaly. They're 16 & 18, both garden cats now due to crazy spraying. Always free fed alternations from the grocery store with one can of Friskies a day. Believe me, it kills me to keep feeding them like this, but it's what my husband's mom always gave them and now they're so old and set in their ways! Both are healthy happy kitties, and neither have been obese like so many cats we see. Go figure. P.S. About the same time we started giving Zelda wet, we started adding some wet to the dog's diet, and now both their poopies stink to high heaven! Phew!
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 25 June, 2009
    I used to eat science diet and I got a lot of dandruff and I was shedding a lot. Plus I was always starving. I enjoy wellness a lot more.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 25 June, 2009
    Yeah, I think you should just wade it out. Don't switch her right away because kitties have very sensitive stomachs. Do they have natural balance for kittens?
    edited 26 June, 2009
    Well, nix the wet. On exclusively wet Hobie had diarrhea and if Zelda eats even a smidgeon of wet she projectile vomits her body weight all over the dining room. :-/ I do have them on a grain free dry though and they're good drinkers.
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 27 June, 2009
    Alaidh lived almost her entire live on exclusively dry food - Medi-Cal - and she was very healthy. At 16 I switched her slowly over to only wet on the advice of the vet I had at the time because her kidneys were getting weak - common in old cats - and she started to go downhill. She was under 5 pounds (from a normal 7.5 pounds) when I switched vets. She recommended I put her back on the dry - free feeding - and give her the canned as well. Alaidh got back up to almost 7 pounds and lived another 4 years.