Natual Balance-Change the formual???????

tigger cattigger cat Member Posts: 23
edited 28 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
I was having trouble with allergies in my cat and swiched to Natual Balance a month ago. My cats all seemed to adjust well, no more itching or vomiting. I opened a new bag of Natual Balance-Green Pea and Duck to find the color and size of the kibble to be different. The size is larger and the color is noticeably lighter. My 5 cats noticed a different as well. After a few days I have now been coming home to cat vomit and a lack of interest in the food. I went to Natual Balances web site and the following is what I found. \"COMING SOON: As Natural Balance continues to grow, we have found it increasingly difficult to obtain the quality and quantity of duck meal from the United States that our rigorous standards require. In order to address this issue before supply becomes a problem, Natural Balance has decided to add more fresh duck and pea protein into the Green Pea & Duck formulas. We have found this adjustment enhances the palatability and performance of the product, but may lighten the kibble color. We have been feeding this formula for the last six months to many of our own Natural Balance pets and it has produced exceptional results.\" Is there anyone else out there experincing the same problem? This is starting to sound like Filidae all over again. Filidae did not mark their bags letting the consumer know of the change in formual.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 26 June, 2009
    Tigger this is the problem with pet food, they dont have to tell you when there is a product change, meaning they usually use up all the old packaging first. For example this happened with Walmarts special kitty cat food. It also happened with a good brand called Wellness, they took out the garlic, but it was still listed on the cans. These things happen with ingredients they sometimes get to expensive, so they have to go to another supplier, so it totally changes things. Anyhow it is also very hard to have a real hypoallergenic food, as too many hands and machines touch this food, there is so many chances for cross contamination. You may be able to find out more from other Caring cat owners at a site called itchmoforums.com There is lots of info there on specific brands and problems with them. Hope that your kittys are feeling better |^|
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 26 June, 2009
    We noticed a difference with the dog food being a different color. We tried the cats on Natural Balance recently and they wouldn't touch it! And these cats are normally gluttons who would eat glue if given half a chance. P.S. I read that note too but it confused me, why would they add more duck protein to the food if they're having trouble getting the protein source? Did I read it wrong?
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 28 June, 2009
    They said this on their website but never noted the ingredient change exactly. There are more peas then the duck now. It used to be I believe peas, duckmeal,pea protein then duck and so forth. Now it is peas, duck, pea protein..... So there is no more duck meal therefore there is alot more peas then there is meat in this formula. The new salmon and chicken formulas look to be as good as the old duck formula though.