Possible IBS?

Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
edited 1 July, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Our 18 yo kitty has had diarrhea for probably a year now. We finally took him to a new vet for a second opinion and they were much more pro-active. The vet said it might be IBS (which I find is usually a blanket statement for tummy problems) and prescribed Science Diet z/d. If this helps Moocher we'll keep him on it, but I'd really prefer a better quality food, especially if we're dishing out the money anyway. Anyone have suggestions for a similar food to z/d, but a better one? Also, any ideas other than IBS for why he might have constant diarrhea? We've had every test in the book run, all levels are normal.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 22 June, 2009
    Yes you are right IBS is a blanket statement when they cant figure out what is wrong. IF you have all the tests done, then a diet change is in need. Your GI tract is inflammed, and a change in diet can help and even cure this. The prescription food may cause other problems in the long run. These foods they prescibe may say hypoallergenic, but they arent really, as there is so much cross contamination when these foods are made. The dry form is even worse. Plus there is no scientific proof that these diets work, when we compare them to foods that havent been so processed. Did you know that even cats that have had it for a long time can be cured? Ground raw rabbit is something cats will do well on for this issue, and then other raw meats can be fed after, and you probably wont have to deal with drugs. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. :) Let us know how it goes
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 22 June, 2009
    My 12 year old male cat had diarrhea problems for I'd say 8-9 years of his life. The vet I would take him to just sluffed it off as a sensitive stomach. Treated him with medications and prescribed Medi-cal hypoallergenic cat food. The symptoms would clear up for a bit but always return. More medication was pumped into him. The vet switched him over to Royal Canin Sensitivity. The diarrhea would clear up again for a bit but always return. I wish I would have looked into feline health and nutrition many years ago :? But I was naive and listened to whatever my vet said and prescribed. I thought he knew what was best for my cat. BOY was I wrong.... The more I read about feline nutrition the more I felt I had to get all of the grains and crap out of my cats diet. So, I was going to feed them grainfree canned foods. Then I came across raw food diet for cats. I did alot of research on raw food diets and made the gradual transition from canned food to raw food. Within a month of being on raw food Bishop's diarrhea completely cleared up. It has now been 9 months and his diarrhea has not returned. If I feed him canned I now feed a grainfree canned food. My advice for you is try to get your kitty to eat a grainfree canned food or a balanced raw diet. Cats were not born to eat all of the grains, fillers, perservatives, etc. that are in most cat foods. And this is why we are hearing of cats having more and more problems from eating these foods.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 23 June, 2009
    Raw is not an option. The older cats still live with my in-laws and I help take care of them too. My m.i.l. has always fed them grocery store crud and I'm just now convincing her that nutrition is important. Usually I buy the giant bag of our food and half it with her so the older kitties get good food too. However, they are picky, so it's hit or miss. I'm going to go raid our natural food store and get her samples and cans for Moocher to try. Otherwise he's perfectly healthy and might have many more years left, so I'd really like to fix this tummy problem. The poor guy had impacted anal glands too as a result of the diarrhea. :(
    edited 23 June, 2009
    Update: I got Moochie lots of nummy Natural Balance and California Natural food to try today. Also some probiotic to mix in to help his poor tummy. *crosses paws that he'll like it*
    edited 23 June, 2009
    These two brands are much better then grocery store brands and I do hope they work out for your kitty!! Unless you are feeding the Limited Ingredients (grainfree) line of Natural Balance then there still are grain and fillers in both of these brands. And if your kitties stomach still is upset then this may be the reason why. My fingers are crossed that it works out - good luck!
    edited 30 June, 2009
    Since switching to California Natural Moocher had his first good poo in a year!! %:D% So it seems it may not be grain related, I hope just a good quality limited ingredient diet will continue to be good for him.
    edited 30 June, 2009
    That is such positive news |/h/||/h/| I am not really sure what you were feeding him for the last year??? Your previous posts never really said. You did mention that the vet wanted him to eat Science Diet.... California Natural is not full of grains and fillers - which is great!! I am curious to hear what flavor of this are you feeding? Are you including the probiotics in his food? Because if you are - this may be helping his tummy as well. I hope the good poops continue ;c;:c9
    edited 30 June, 2009
    He's my husband's childhood cat and had always been fed Fancy Feast, Friskies, etc. Bleh. We've actually been alternating the wet flavors of California Naturals, he seems to like them all. And yes I've been adding the pre/probiotics. I figured his tummy was probably shot at that point.
    edited 1 July, 2009
    I am so happy he is feeling much better now that he is off of the grocery store brands filled with all the grains/fillers/meat by products crap. I bet you the probiotics is helping as well. Probiotics are really not to be used long term. Because then once the good bacteria is back then it can start messing with them. Have you thought of using a digestive enxzyme like "Prozyme". This is something you could also bring up with your vet in the future once you are taking him off of the probiotics. Who knows....it may have been something as easy as switching his food. Who would have thought!!!! ;c;;c;;c;;c;
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    edited 1 July, 2009
    That is such good new Moocher! I see you got lots of great answers and I went thorugh a smilar struggle with my Philbert when I got him and he had had diarreah as long as the shelter people could remember, and he was about 2. He was underweight, dandery and sheddy cause he was passing his nutrition out before he could absorb anything. IBS is definitly a blanket statement for tummy troubles without getting a real test for it. After lots of trial and error, Phil's problem turned out to be an allergy to poultry. Your kitty may have also been responding poorly to something in the food, and with the higher quality food, it might not have that ingredient, so it's not irritating his bowels anymore!! If you notice Moocher relasping, you might want to take a look at the proteins in the food because cats commonly have allergies to chicken an beef, but there are lots of great option with lamb, veal, rabbit, and fish that are afforable and canb e found at pet store. good luck!
  • donna hudsondonna hudson Member Posts: 29
    edited 1 July, 2009
    Hi when my boy was about 4 months old he was vomiting and had diarrhea he was put on hills i/d which did straighten him out then I transitioned him to natural balance duck and pea http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/NB_CatCanned_Duck-GreenPea.html hes almost 11 months now and doing great hope this helps|/a/|
    edited 1 July, 2009
    We tried the Natural Balance duck & green pea with our two younger kitties who have allergies, and they wouldn't touch it! One is a total glutton and this is the first time he's ever refused food. And he'll normally eat cardboard! Moocher is even pickier than them, so I figured I'd skip out on that. Oh, he did like the wet duck & green pea though. We tried the dry previously.