Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

cat food question

annie thomasannie thomas Member Posts: 1
edited 5 September, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
"I've always bought my cat food at the supermarket. However my friend who has a dog says she never does that because the food isn't good enough quality. Is that the same for cats? Should I buy food at only pet stores?"

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    Your friend is right that the supermarket brands aren\'t the best. Of course, some of the pet store brands are not that great either. The best cat foods contain a lot of high quality protein. That means protein from meat not from plants. Cats are carnivores and they need to eat lots of animal protein in order to be healthy.
  • Lisa HaydeyLisa Haydey WinnipegMember Posts: 11
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Another alternative is feeding your cat home-cooked meals once in awhile, in lieu of supermarket canned food. I have a strong stomach and find some home-cooked liver and rice once in awhile is a big treat and keeps me very healthy. My coat gets physically shinier after a few days of home-cooked meals, and I get more active and purr-y. For more info, try doing a search on google.
  • Nichole DwyerNichole Dwyer Member Posts: 2,118
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Cutie One of the best brands that my mom likes is Science Diet.It is very high quality and very good for us. That one of the kinds she sells at the vets office.She says that Science Diet can get expensive, but she says IAMS is very good too.Good luck! Love Milton
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Cutie, please have your mom make sure that the VERY FIRST ingredient listed in your food is meat. Not meat byproducts or \"meat digest\" but real meat (chicken, fish, beef, turkey, etc.) Cats are carnivores and can\'t digest grain and so forth as well. Even some of the brands sold by vets (like Science Diet) will contain more grain than we really need. Usually the brands that have meat (real meat) the most are more expensive, but you will eat less of it because you will get more nutrients out of less amount of food. Those brands include Innova, PetGuard, Abady, etc., and are available at smaller pet food stores and health food stores. Home prepared meals are great, as well, but your mom should make sure that they have the right balance of meat, veggies and grain. A book called \"Natural Health for Dogs & Cats\" by Dr. Richard Pitcairn has good recipes. A book called \"The New Natural Cat\" by Anitra Frazier is also good. Your mom can also give you a mix of home prepared and canned food, which cuts down on her cooking for you, but still gives you the benefits!
  • Crystal FullerCrystal Fuller McBean Georgia (Augusta)Member Posts: 53
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I GOT PAISLEY ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKENED. ABOUT A WEEK AFTER I GOT HIM, HIM AND HIS SISTER GOT DIRTY AND I GAVE THEM A BATH AND I HAD NOT NOTICED BEFORE, BUT ONCE I GOT HIM WET YOU COULD TELL RIGHT AFTER HIS RIBS, HIS STOMACH JUST BULGED OUT. IT WAS SO SCARY IT MADE ME SICK AND START CRYING. I HAD JUST LOST WEASLEY TO FIP A FEW MONTHS EARLIER, AND I WAS THINKING I HAD GOTTEN ANOTHER SICK KITTY! I CALLED A FEW FAMILY MEMBERS WHO HAVE CATS AND ASKED WHAT THAT COULD BE (IT WAS NIGHT AND THE VET WAS CLOSED). THEY SAID THEY WERE PRETTY SURE IT'S WORMS, SO THAT NEXT MORNING I WENT TO WALMART AND BOUGHT SOME WORM STUFF FROM THERE TO TIDE ME OVER TILL I COULD GET HIM TO THE VET MONDAY. MY FAMILY SAID THAT IF IT WAS INDEED WORMS, THAT I WOULD SEE A DIFFERENCE IN HIS STOMACH WITHIN A DAY OR SO, B/C AS SOON AS I GAVE HIM THAT MEDICINE IT WOULD MAKE HIM POOP THEM OUT. WELL, GAVE HIM THE MEDICINE AND NOTHING! WHEN I GOT HIM TO HIS APPT. THAT WEEK THE VET TOLD ME HE HAD "LOW BLOOD PROTEIN". HE SAID THAT IS FROM HIM BEING MALNOURISHED AS HE WAS GROWING...OR IT CAN ALSO BE HE WAS WEANED TOO SOON. ANYWAY, HE SAID TO GET HIM ON A HIGH PROTEIN DIET RIGHT AWAY, SO I WENT TO THE VET AND BOUGHT I THINK IT WAS CALLED NATURE'S OWN OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT. SINCE THEN HE'S CLEARED UP NICELY AND HE'S EVEN BIGGER THAN HIS SISTER. HE WAS VERY VERY TINY WHEN I GOT HIM. SO, I AGREE....GET YOUR BABY ON SOME GOOD FOOD....IT WILL HELP IN THE LONG RUN.
  • FLIP RainnieFLIP Rainnie Member Posts: 80
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mummy only gives me home cooked food......she cooks up chicken livers,green beans and carrots......puts them is little baggies and freezes them. Then when she feeds me she chops up a little fresh tomato and sprinkles a little ground flax seed, I also have my crunchy dry dish of food, to keep my teeth clean.......
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Peggy and now Spike both eat Fancy Feast can food. Both get half a can in the morning and half a can at night. In addition since Spike is still quarantined, Peggy has her choice of dry food that is always down. She will eat the Purina One but she LOVES Nature's Choice dry food. Lil Spike is still getting Purina One Kitten food since he's so small for his age due to his abandonment so I'm trying to fatten him up a little.
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    the best cat/dog foods have should Not have Corn in it at all! this is just a filler that gives no nutrition at all( just imagine most of your meals being popcorn). look for the first ingredient to be Real meat as stated above( chicken, beef, lamb, ect) Never by a food with By-Probucts, this meats it's a low quality/scrap "meat" source( it can also mean old or spoiled!!!), Meals ( like chicken meal, ect) are ok as long as they are Not the first ingredient since it just means there is ground up bone and such(which is good for cats in small amounts). some good brends out there are Wellness, Innova, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Blue Buffalo, ect.
  • Jessica SouthgateJessica Southgate NottinghamMember Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Simba, you need TAURINE which is often cooked out of meats when they are heated. A lack of taurine will eventually cause blindness and death. Try raw meats, raw liver, or raw heart. I use Techni-cal Kitten, and once I run out of it, I'm going to switch to Burns cat food. Techni-cal is very good, but it still has too much grain for my liking. Higher quality foods can work out cheaper in the end because you need to eat less of it for the same about of nutrition. Compare the ingredients on the bags- would you eat bone meal? Mystery meat by-products? Why would you feed this junk to your pets?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    actually Jack some bone meal is actually good for cats to eat, it gives them more calcium that they need. as long as the meal isn't in the top 4 or 5 ingredients there's not enough to overlode the cats' system.
  • Jessica SouthgateJessica Southgate NottinghamMember Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, bone meal is good for calcium. Even still, "meat by-products" and "meat and animal derivitives" and "meat meal" are all yuck. I like to know what animal my meat comes from. If I could be convinced to chew on raw, meaty bones (not cooked bones!) then I'd get yummy meals of fresh meat and bone every day and the kibble could be chucked away. But I'm too lazy to work for my food. Heck, I can't even be convinced to eat a raw beef cube, I need it cut up into tiny bits, otherwise I think it's a toy. When we move, the resident cat of the house we're going to will teach me how to hunt, and then maybe I can be convinced to eat a more appropriate diet than dry kibble and canned meat mush.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    i concede to your point, but the chicken meal and lamb meal, anything that gives the actual Meat given i find isn't so bad as long as it's low in the list. me and my sister don't like to work for food either, even though mommy would love to switch us to a raw food diet!
  • Nathalie FerreiroNathalie Ferreiro North Orange CountyMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good foods include Blue Buffalo (I didn\'t like it because it didn\'t sit well with me, but it is a high quality food), Innova, Old Mother Hubbard \"Wellness,\" California Natural, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover\'s Soul, Felidae, and of course, Natural Balance (which is what we eat). Good food has the following characteristics: 1. High quality protein as the first ingredient (i.e. beef, chicken, duck, lamb, fish). 2. No corn in any way, shape or form. It\'s an allergen. 3. No \"byproducts\" (beaks, feet, hooves, etc.). This is very low quality protein. 4. Healthy carbohydrate sources (like potato, apples, carrots) 5. A high-fiber grain, and listed as the third or lower ingredient (i.e. \"brown rice\"). 6. Taurine. 7. Human-grade foods (meat, vegetables, etc.), rather than byproducts, bad meat, etc. If your food does not meet these standards, it\'s not good. And just because the vet recommends something it doesn\'t mean it\'s the best... vets only take one nutrition class in vet school and it\'s sponsored by none other than Science Diet (so the vets will recommend their products). Here\'s a comparison of ingredients (top 10 listed) Natural Balance: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, Vitamin E) Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Fish Meal Felidae: Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Rosemary Extract), Menhaden Fish Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil Iams Original Formula: Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Sodium Bisulfate Science Diet Chicken & Rice formula Chicken, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Iodized Salt, Nutro Max Cat Adult Roasted Chicken Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavors, Lamb Meal, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Meow Mix Seafood Medley Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal,beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), brewers rice, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, calcium chloride, phosphoric acid There it is. :)
    edited 27 February, 2006
    mommy really likes Merrick brand foods for the dogs but so far all they have for cats is wet food, but she is waiting till our other wet runs out so she can get that and she's waiting for them to start making dry food. right now we eat Blue Buffalo and Royal Canin but might switch to Wellness soon.
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    we like Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken, but we also eat Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul. Also we love the Merrick canned food, now if only they would come out with it in dry cat food!
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We eat Innova lite dry, and California Natural canned. Hey Persephone, how do ya like the Katz-n-flocken?
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaMember Posts: 14,677
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Innova Evo is the best! It has no grains at all. You can find out about it at the Natura website. On this site they also have a food comparison wizard where you can choose up to four foods and they will list their ingredients side by side. If you want to do a definition, you can click on the ingredient. If you don't want to feed Evo, regular Innova and California Natural are my second and third best foods (in my opinion, of course).
  • Nana ChristopoulouNana Christopoulou KALAMATAMember Posts: 190
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy really wants us to eat the best, in order to be as healthy as can be. She agrees that by-products, meat meals, meat derivatives and fillers are not good for us kitties as they are not good for doggies too. Piko and I are on Eagle Pack holistic chicken, and we love it. Mom would love to give us Innova or Innova Evo but it is not sold in Greece...We think Eagle Pack is good enough though. Here are the ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Meal*, Chicken, Lamb, Oatmeal, Menhaden Oil, Flaxseed, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Brewers Dried Yeast, Chicken Liver Meal, Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Air Dried Peas, Carrots, Cheese Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Dried Blueberries, Dehydrated Apples, Sweet Potato, Taurine, Dehydrated Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dandelion (organic), Dried Cranberries, Inulin, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, dl-Methionine, Inositol, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.
  • Debra SchwartzDebra Schwartz PortlandMember Posts: 20
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I know I just said it, but, RAW FOOD! When I started feeding my kittys raw food it was unbeliveable the change. Mina went from being so sick I was thinking it was the end to acting normal again and even gaining a bit of weight. Milku's coat became so shiny and silky and she stopped with the squirt butt, as well as playing like a kitten at 10! You can make your own raw food too, go to the supermarket and have them grind up a whole chicken + an extra ckickens insides (they seem to like it better this way) and when you get home you can mix in some vita powder and put it in small bags and freeze them so you can have them one by one. Sometimes I buy them raw too and it's called RadCat brand and it's free range, organic, better then anything I'm eating!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    That\'s interesting. I\'ve never heard of RadCat before. It sounds great. Where do you buy it?