Teen Cheyenne Cherry taunts animal activists after guilty plea for killing kitten in oven

Edwin RomanEdwin Roman Oakland GardensMember Posts: 2
edited 6 August, 2010 in Laws & Legislation
Teen Cheyenne Cherry taunts animal activists after guilty plea for killing kitten in oven BY Dorian Block DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER Updated Thursday, July 16th 2009, 9:08 AM Lombard for News A heartless kitty killer hissed angrily at animal rights activists Wednesday, grinning widely as she took credit for stuffing the helpless pet into a 500-degree oven. "It's dead, ****!" snapped an unrepentant Cheyenne Cherry, sticking her tongue out after a plea bargain that will put her behind bars for a year in the May 6 killing of tiny Tiger Lily. Cherry, 17, was confronted after her guilty plea in Bronx Supreme Court to charges of animal cruelty and attempted burglary in the May 6 killing at her former roommate's apartment. Tiger Lily was left to die inside the blistering oven after Cherry and a 14-year-old friend trashed the apartment of Valerie Hernandez, destroying furniture before stealing DVDs and food. After her arrest, Cherry told police the cat killing was "just a joke." In court Wednesday, Cherry admitted to Judge Margaret Clancy that the younger girl put the cat in the oven - and "I didn't let the cat out." The pair fled the apartment because they didn't want to hear the dying cat's cries or desperate scratching at the oven door, authorities said. The second girl is facing trial in Family Court because of her age. Prosecutor Jennifer Troiano said Cherry was granted a plea deal because her cohort was "more culpable" for the crimes. Under the agreement, Cherry pleaded guilty to two charges in a six-count indictment. She waived her right to appeal and agreed not to keep a pet for the next three years. Cherry, jailed on a probation violation, faces formal sentencing July 31. As she exited the courtroom, she passed a row of animal rights activists outraged by her crime. "Justice for Tiger Lily," read one sign held by the demonstrators. Sharon Tuerlings, 43, of Levittown, L.I., extended both her middle fingers and kissed them. Cherry grinned widely, stuck out her tongue and responded with her profane retort. Cherry is not new to animal crimes. She was busted last year for using a BB gun to dog-nap a teacup Yorkie with her boyfriend. She was also arrested for robbing a man of his iPod at gunpoint. The dozen animal lovers who attended the hearing said they represented more than 20,000 people who signed an online petition supporting harsh punishment for Cherry. They were thrilled by the deal that guaranteed Cherry would do time for the cruel killing. "She is dangerous," said Brooklyn cat owner Josie Marrero. "A very dangerous young lady." Tuerlings said she wanted to get a glimpse of the monster behind the cat execution. "It felt so good to look at her ugly face," she said. "Those evil eyes that she has." [email protected] Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/07/15/2009-07-15_cheyenne_cherry_taunts_animal_activists_after_getting_plea_deal_killing_kitten_i.html?print=1&page=all#ixzz0LScbQASi

Comments

• Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 16 July, 2009
    I was under the assumption that a criminal was supposed to show some type of remorse to impress the judge into lightening the sentance. She took that slap on the wrist and rubbed it right in the judges\' face and they took it like a coward. She\'s hurt animals and people before. She has not and will not be rehabilitated. When she kills a lover or a child in rage I hope the judge/jury/or whoever let this inhumane criminal off the hook has nightmares forever and knows they are DIRECTLY responsible. As culpable as she is herself. The justice system has handed her the future gun, knife, fire and gave her PERMISSION to run with it. 100% FAIL TODAY. 100% FAIL IN THE FUTURE. Biscuit
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 17 July, 2009
    If it is of any comfort, one day this "creature" - she does not deserve to be called a human, will face another Judge.....and He may not be so mericful. The New Orleans Kitties
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 17 July, 2009
    Amen to that. And the sooner the better!!!
  • edited 17 July, 2009
    This story gave me nightmares when I read about it the first time around. I can\'t believe the judge ignored this girl\'s previous behavioral issues, and gave her such a light sentence. Can you say sociopath in the works?
  • Leon SinclairLeon Sinclair OrlandoMember Posts: 1,993
    edited 21 July, 2009
    OK, all of the "she's mentally ill & had a bad childhood & needs counseling not prison" people who were posting before,what say you NOW? Were Sir Sonny Bono & I right? Is she just plain evil? Or does she just need some more counseling for being callous? Come down from you ivory towers & face the facts: SOME PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD ARE STRAIGHT UP EVIL!
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 17 July, 2009
    Maybe she is sick. Maybe they will use the resources while they have her for that one short year to make her not a threat to anyone or anything upon her release. If not, maybe she\'ll meet her maker cruelly in some random crackhouse before she can kill anything (or anyone) else. Sorry to sound so harsh. Sometimes there are no soft meows. Biscuit
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 18 July, 2009
    I can't believe how light the sentencing is. Obviously the girl has issues and could probably benefit from counseling/meds, but she clearly has no remorse and will more than likely continue her behavior when she is released. :((
  • ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
    edited 18 July, 2009
    I actually get a knot in my stomach whenever i use the oven now. just feeling that heat. :( poor baby. it may be harsh to some, especially those that think she can be rehabilitated, but i will be more than happy to know she will burn in hell for what she did.
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 18 July, 2009
    I am very disappointed in the sentencing and she shows no remorse. I yet stand by my original position, which was "she is one scary and damaged human. I don't think her *type* can be rehabilitated or reformed."
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 21 July, 2009
    She is very disgusting. She is sick and most likely will not get help. She will meet her maker someday and boy oh boy it's gonna be hot - if you know what I mean.
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 21 July, 2009
    I live in New York, and this story has been all over the news up here. And it sickens me to hear the gory details of it all. Really, it makes me nauseous. That evil kid is going to grow up into a serial killer or some like-minded criminal. Someone should put her in an oven just so she can see how it feels! Sorry for the bombastic rant, but seeing that poor little kitten's picture in the paper every day just breaks my heart. And I can't even imagine how her adopter must feel right now. My sympathies to her...
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 18 July, 2009
    Throwing her in prision isn't going to help make her a person that can live in society is it? I still stand by what I said. The girl has some issues and a mental eval should be done to reveal them. This is like treating the symptom but not the cold. You act like we're defending her actions by stating this, which is not the case. I just see a problem that will get worse if the correct actions are not taken.
  • kristin petersonkristin peterson Member Posts: 15
    edited 18 July, 2009
    This is the first time I have heard this story, though it reminds me of that kid in Florida who was mutilating cats. I work in the mental health field, so I'm familiar with mental health issues. If this girl has a history of killing animals (in especially cruel ways) and shows no remorse, she is definitely a sociopath. And once she gets out of jail, she will most definitely do it again...except that next time it could be a person, or even a child. I am surprised that the court didn't order psychiatric care, although the sad thing is, it is impossible to treat a sociopath. Really the only thing that can be done is for her to be locked up for the rest of her life, either in prison or a hospital. Its sad for everyone involved, really. :(
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 19 July, 2009
    so very true Dylan.
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 21 July, 2009
    I agree with all. This was one stupid judge. He'll have blood on his hands someday. This just disgusts me. Cali, I agree: some people are just EVIL.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 21 July, 2009
    Not showing remorse to people around her does not mean she didn't feel it. This is (it sounds like) an inner city teen who has been involved with violent people most of her teenage years. If you read enough field studies done by sociologists and educators, this kind of kid is not entirely without conscience, but they view showing remorse as weakness, which makes them vulnerable to be attacked by others or betrayed by their own. I think this was bravado by a kid who doesn't quite know what to do about the whole thing. In other words, don't assume she is a sociopath just because she put up that display of behavior. In some circles, that's called "fronting", and it's far cry from what the person is really feeling at the time. I am not an expert in sociopathic behavior, but I know enough to realize that's really a determination best left to the professionals. I hope that now that she is in prison, she does get access to said professionals, so they can at least determine if the sentence was that light. Moreover, you discount one important thing: a prison sentence is a starting point, not a be all end all. If she is really as unmanageable as she sounds, it's likely that she will find her prison sentence lengthening due to her own misbehavior while being confined in it. There are people out there that land in prison for a few years due to completely rotten judgment calls (as Ms. Cherry has), and keep doing stupid things that keep them there long after their originally scheduled release time. If she is as destructive as you believe her to be, it is not impossible that she might have a longer stay. It's not ideal, I know, but in an ideal world, someone would have done something about reaching out to this teen in order to avoid her from acting out like this long before now. This didn't start out with dognapping, petty theft, and animal cruelty. It started out long before that, when this girl was a child, and lord knows what kind of childhood she has had to turn out this way. I realize you all think that she is a monster, but even monsters deserve a modicum of pity for them now and then.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 21 July, 2009
    i\'m one of those who believe that yes, there\'s something wrong with this girl...and i never said she did not need to go to prison. no one did, cali-you\'re misrepresenting us. no one said she did not need punishment/incarceration-we simply said she ALSO needed treatment. i fail to see how anything has changed. i didn\'t particularly expect Cherry to apologize. i think boris has her accurately pegged as far as that goes, and thus, i doubt apologizing is within her current range. what i found remarkable was that-guess what-she wasn\'t actually the one who did it. it was not her choice, putting the kitten in the microwave. she has never independently chosen to torture an animal. even the facts don\'t move some people. do her actions (and her failure to act to save the cat) require intervention. Yes. does incarceration make sense. well, yes. never said it didn\'t. but so does simultaneous psychiatric intervention. and once again, a seventeen-year-old cannot be diagnosed as a sociopath. it is literally impossible. so, no-she isn\'t a sociopath. even if she were, sociopaths are not always and uniformly violent and evil. many of them go into sales or politics and do quite well. as for her taunting animal activists...how mature is it to make obscene hand gestures in public? and that woman was in her forties? is she then a psychopath? she showed a failure to conform to expected societal norms...:-k
  • kristin petersonkristin peterson Member Posts: 15
    edited 21 July, 2009
    While bravado is common among adolescents, what makes this case different is the especially cruel nature of the crime. Teenagers typically display bravado for things like fistfights or shoplifting- criminal behavior, but somewhat petty. What this girl did shows an unusual display of cruelty, which is what makes me think there is some sociopathic behavior involved. And "sociopath" isn't a technical diagnosis, it is a personality profile attributed to some people with antisocial personality disorder. So while she may be too young to be diagnosed with APD, she can still show tendencies. A true sociopath may not be "evil" but by definition they are manipulative, egotistical, impulsive, and pathological liars, and show no remorse or empathy. This is why therapy is ineffective- they have no capacity for insight. So while not all will become serial killers, they are very unlikely to be upstanding citizens (they may be good at PRETENDING to be such, however).
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 July, 2009
    . . . and now that this thread has gone from (cat) Laws & Legislation to human mental health . . . plus being very upsetting to other Catster members, we\'re going to close it down. I suggest anyone who wishes to continue following the story would do well to start up a Group to continue the discussion. Thank you for your cooperation. Athena Catster Moderator |^|
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 July, 2009
    Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Catster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ