Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Am I Stealin Mom\\\'s Kitten Away?

Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
edited 13 August, 2009 in Kitten Corner
My name is Bedelia and I\'ll be 2 next month. Spayed and never had babies. Mom brought home a new kitten about 7 weeks old and I took over him immediately. I wash him, sleep with him and go everywhere with him. I will not leave him alone. If mom takes him I call for him. (He likes all of this.) I want him for myself. Am I stealing him from mommy? Will he now bond with me instead of her? What should mom do (if anything)? ~Bedelia

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 11 August, 2009
    I think it's great that you love the kitten. After a rocky start (at first I was a little put off by her presence), I got to be the same way with my friend Gracie. Mom thought it was funny that I'd get worried if I couldn't see where she was (she's pretty good at hiding). Gracie has a pretty good relationship with mom and dad though, so just because your kitten spends a lot of time with you doesn't mean he won't seek out your mommy. What mommy says you can do is allow your mom to play with both you and the kitten. Mom has had some luck bonding with Gracie when we play with wand toys. Momma also bonded with Gracie a lot by petting her when she ate, or when she is not otherwise occupied with playing with me (after the novelty of having a cat with me 24/7 wore off, I started needing some time alone every once in a while).
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    edited 11 August, 2009
    That is wonderful for the kitten\'s learning and development especially since 7 weeks is kind of young to be without his Mom cat. He can learn a lot from such a great big sister. Your Mom needs to keep bonding with the kitten too though. My sisters take good care of little Maggie. She watches how we use the litterbox and how we eat and beg for treats. The others even wash her little ears and helped her learn to clean her own butt properly after a potty trip. (I say the others because I personally like to pretend that I am an only child and do not bother with that silly kitten) But Maggie still spends time snuggling with our Mom too. Tell your Mom to keep things in balance. She can let you bond but take time out to give you each separate lovin\' too.
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 11 August, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! Mom figured I might get tired of having a baby on me all the time but it's still new and I'm still lovin him :D I tell you what, tho, he sure is noisy! He's deaf so he can't hear how loud he meows. Mom's trying to play with us both together but also have private time with each of us as well ;) Purrrrs, Bedelia
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 12 August, 2009
    how great that is that bedelia likes the new kitty! especially since he is so young and deaf, too :) I have had Peanut ( my 4 month old kitten) for 2 months and Panda STILL hisses at him when he gets to close! So you're lucky. Does the new kitty have a name yet?
    edited 12 August, 2009
    YES! My name is Pickles! And Bedelia and Mommy love me lots ;) *baby purrrrs* Pickles
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 12 August, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some older cats will instinctively take care of a new kitten. Perhaps when he gets a bit older, he'll be friskier and into everything and less patient with Bodelia, so you might end up spending more time with him.
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 12 August, 2009
    aaaaaaww what an adorable name. and he is so cute!! congrats
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 12 August, 2009
    **Attention** Bedelia, is the very first graduate, of Bumpurr's We Love Kittens School. And, she graduated with top honors!! Applause for her please. =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D> Bumpurr is now accepting new students, enrollment fee is 2 toys for Bumpurr. :-h:-h:-h What should Bedelia's mommy do?? She should get her a graduation present, mol, mol, mol. :))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Now I'm "nursing" him. Earlier mommy heard the baby squeeling real loud and went to see and I was trying to carry him by the scruff...he's about 7 weeks old so I was kinda dragging his feet... Mom took him away from me for a while. I didn't mean to pinch him :( With supervision, she brought him out and he went right to me and now I'm washing and nursing him. I love him so! When mommy goes to work in a bit, she's putting the baby in the bathroom with his things so I don't accidentally pinch him again. Purrrs, Bedelia
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Oh dear! We have to laugh a little cause Madeline now mothers Russell and Vincent (yes, one of my boys) mothered Francis and Matthew. Who did that leave for meowmy???:? (well, plenty, but still...) I do think it\'s wonderful Bedelia (my little guardee!) is being motherly, especially at such a young age, and with Pickles being deaf, it\'s nice someone\'s showing him the ropes from a cat\'s eye view I guess. Maybe bond with the two of them, like on the bed or floor?? Let us know how it goes! |:|
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Bedelia, you're like me, aren't you? I would try to scruff Gracie too, when she was little. Gracie would usually either bite me before I got her scruffed properly, or would yelp for mommy. I even try to do it now, except that Gracie is too big for me to be able to carry her anywhere. In fact one of mom's favorite tales about me is how I once tried to scruff Gracie to make her move away from a spot I wanted, and the beast not only did not comply with me, but she gave me a look that probably meant "That'll be the day when you can make me move.". How rude of her. :-/ It sounds like you've decided you're the boss cat, and you're trying to teach Pickles that. By all means, your mommy had a good idea separating you, and it would be good for the two of you if she only allowed you to be around Pickles when she or other humans are home, at least until Pickles gets a little bit bigger. I don't think for one second that you would intentionally harm him, but you are a lot bigger than him, and you might accidentally hurt him by mistake. Waiting a few weeks for you to be around him all the time will give him a chance to catch up to you a little bit. Mommy didn't trust me to be fully alone with Gracie for nearly a month for the same reason: she was tiny and scrawny, and mom worried that should I get too bossy with her, no one would be there to tell me differently. At first we had supervised visits only. Later we would be out together as long as mommy was awake. Later still, mom would let Gracie stay out with me at night, but she'd still have to be in the bathroom (a.k.a., Gracie's room) if mommy left the apartment. Around 3 months (i.e., about 3 weeks or so after she came home), Gracie had grown enough where mom didn't worry about her putting me back in my place if needed so much (Gracie had gotten big enough where she could beat me up if she fought dirty :))!), so mom relaxed the rules then. It wasn't easy, she will tell you that: I would moan and moan and paw at the door. Gracie did the same thing from her side of it... and mom questioned her judgment for a split second or two. But she just didn't feel like she should take the risk of something bad happening when she and dad were not home (and even after we were allowed to spend time alone without the humans around, the first thing that mom would do when she came home was a headcount, and then she would give us pets as an excuse to do a quick body check! .:-$).