Captain Loudmeow, indeed.

Rosalyn AssounRosalyn Assoun Mississauga, Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 11
edited 1 October, 2005 in Behavior & Training
Sometimes, if my mommy is not near me or is behind a closed door or sleeping or showering or basically anywhere or doing something that does not involve her 100% attention on me, I cry. Most of the time, my parents think it\'s cute and indulge me. Sometimes, like at 5am when they\'re sleeping, and I want my mommy, I cry at the door. They don\'t like that, but then they feel bad when they get angry, because I just want to be with mommy, but if they let me in the bedroom with them at night, I cry anyway cuz I want mommy to be awake and playing at all hours. She wears earplugs at night now cuz of me. Is there something that would calm me down?

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hmmm.. not sure what to tell you. When you're in the bedroom at night, is the door open or closed? Sometimes if I'm in there at night and the door is closed, I'll cry because I would like to go in and out through the night.
  • Lisa HaydeyLisa Haydey WinnipegMember Posts: 11
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hello there, Cooper! Oh boy, you like to cry too? I used to do that when I was a little kitten, because I would feel lonely, or I would want something. My humans tried to ignore me for about a day, then they dropped the technique - personally, my humans nor I liked this method because I wasn't really trying to bug them, I was meowing for a reason! And to ignore it made my humans feel bad. :( It's cute how they try, huh? Instead, whenever I cried they would distract me with something - perhaps a jingle-bell toy (I always respond to the sound of 'dem jingle bells!), some catnip, or a kitty treat. At other times, they would turn on the radio at a very low, soft volume level so that *they* couldn't hear it, but I could. It kept me from feeling lonely, and within a day of this special treatment, I stopped my persisent meowing. Try it out and see for yourself!
  • Rosalyn AssounRosalyn Assoun Mississauga, Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 11
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for your responses guys! To Benjamin: When I\'m in there with them, the door is left open, just in case we need the box or food/water.... To Gus: That music idea might work, so I\'m gonna suggest that to mommy! Only thing... I\'m not really a kitten anymore. I\'m a year and a half old! And should I really even feel lonely with my big brother Tucker stomping around too?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think the only reason that I stopped meowing as a kitten is because my humans treated the problem when I was still a kitten - but I\'m sure your humans will still easily be able to help you overcome this problem. ;) Perhaps you don\'t feel lonely, then?? Hmmm...maybe you\'re just hungry, or want some attention - especially if Tucker acts really cute and hogs it all. :p heehee Or, who knows, maybe you just have a lot of things to say! Some cats are naturally more talkative than others - bu the distraction idea seems to work for them, too. Good luck with the \'meow plan!\' =) I hope the music idea works!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    So I learned something about myself. Yeah, I don\'t like music. I cry MORE. So, my parents seems to be out of options. They give me and my brother Tucker a little extra food at night, and that seems to help keep me quiet until at least 7:30... I think maybe after a while I\'ll stop. Mommy told me that Tuckie went through the same thing at around my age....but he stopped..... *sigh*.... ok, time to go cry at something, anything..... meow!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    !_! heheh Wow, I wasn't expecting that! xD Gosh, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help...(and for making the problem temporarily worse!) xD Hmm, maybe it *is* just a stage...? I certainly hope so. If I can think of anything else that might be of help, I'll be sure to post it here... =)
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well he better grow out of it soon cos it wakes me up too. Ya not good. For Cooper!!!! Besides I owe him one for biting my neck yesterday.