Grooming a double coat with a shedding under coat...

Mary StevensMary Stevens HoustonMember Posts: 2
edited 21 August, 2009 in Grooming
I've had my cat since he was two weeks old. As he's gotten older I've had more and more trouble dealing with his coat. He's a domestic medium hair and his undercoat is ALWAYS shedding. I've tried to just brush and brush and brush but I fear he'd be bald before the hair stopped coming off of him. I've tried multiple brushes with no success. I've brushed his fur while bathing him to maybe get some of it out. After he dried he looked no different. I've even gone after him with a lint roller. After about 5 sheets I gave up and he still looked no different. I was going to try to vacuum his fur, I know it sounds bad but some cats love it, but he's scared of the vacuum. I was wondering if there was something I could use to groom him with that would really get all that fur out. Right now I just have a pledge pet hair remover brush thing for the stuff his fur is on, and it works PERFECTLY.

Comments

• Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 18 August, 2009
    Try the Zoom Groom. It removes lots of hair, especially when you backbrush. I love being Zoom Groomed. Another option is the Furminator, but I don't care for it too much and Mom doesn't like using it on me either.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 19 August, 2009
    I will second the Zoom Groom! We like it better than the furminator, and the price is definatley better. :^:
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 19 August, 2009
    I third the Zoom Groom - it really works well, especially on that undercoat, and it feels good too! Also recommended is the Furminator, but it is more expensive - works great though.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 21 August, 2009
    For some reason I HATE the Zoom Groom, even though I love to be brushed. Meowma got a "Bamboo" shedder that's just like the Furminator only about 1/3 of the price, and I tolerate it pretty well.