clumping litter vs. clay litter

Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
edited 6 August, 2010 in Grooming
i always use clumping litter and i accidentely bought a giant bag of clay litter. i hate it! it gets dirtier so much faster and smells... so i'm just wondering why some people prefer clay litter over clumping? it is cheaper, but that's the only thing i can think of thats better... ALSO, i read only once that i should not use clumping litter with kittens until they are 8 or 12 weeks old. I can't remember which it said. My foster is pregnant and the kittens should be here, so is it true that i should only use clay litter for a while? Is it bad for their paws or is it bad for their health? I wanted to know if i can use clumping litter in different rooms for the other cats if the young kittens can't access them?

Comments

• Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 August, 2009
    ok totally wrong place..
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 29 August, 2009
    I'm with you: why use plain clay litter any more? Clumping keeps the box so much cleaner. As to the kittens, though: a vet tech whom I greatly respect said that young kittens should not be put onto clumping litter; she didn't give an exact age, but the situation is that young kittens tend to mouthe everything, and if they get enough clumping litter into their systems, it would clump inside and block things up, so be certain to use non-clumping litter for the kittens - I would think until they're several months old and out of the "oral" stage.