Indoor or Outdoor

13»

Comments

• edited 16 September, 2006
    It is in my humble opinion that all cats ought to be indoor cats, unless you happen to be a mountain lion or other wild kitty. My late brother, Canaan, was an indoor cat, but tragically lost his life at just nine years of age because he walked out the dog door and met a coyote. That coyote took a heft bite out of him and then left him in the street, where he died after being struck by a car. Sorry for such a greusome story, but because of this, I feel very strongly about all cats being indoor. I, Gershwin, am a very independent cat, and therefore, I love sneaking out the back door to explore. We have the dog door that is computerized, so all the dogs wear a special tag that allows them to go outside and come back in, but keeps wild animals out and me in. The tag has a censor on it for the dogs so that it reads the serial number which allows them to enter/exit. But since I do not have one, the door instead puts off a shriek that cats hate! Humans can barely hear it, but cats hear it loud and clear! I do not go near the door, because I hate that sound. Sometimes mom will let me out to play, on a 100-foot lead that attaches to the house, made of string. This way I can play in the bushes and run around, but not get lost or wander off. It is a great tool for keeping me in and wild animals out.
  • Courtney casianoCourtney casiano MaryvilleMember Posts: 154
    edited 17 September, 2006
    My cats are all indoor cats.We have too many dogs that run loose and too many cars that go too fast in our neighborhood for them to go outside.The only time they get to go out is when they are on the balcony...and only the cats that I didn't find outside seem interested in going out anyway.
  • Jennifer BrillJennifer Brill BrooklynMember Posts: 22
    edited 18 September, 2006
    I live inside only. When I learn to walk on a leash, my furmommy says she's going to take me to the park so we can go outside, but since we live in a big city, it's not safe for me to go out by myself. There's lots of cars and crazy people everywhere that can hurt animals. :(
  • Victoria LabartaVictoria Labarta MiamiMember Posts: 2
    edited 2 October, 2006
    Well my sister\'s and I live Indoors...and wouldn\'t have it any other way! However, my mom has two cats living outdoors. They love it...but they never stray too far away from home. If you\'re going to live outdoors...be sure to be spayed and have a cat tag with your owner\'s information. I live indoors and still wear mine just in case I ever stray...but I don\'t see it happening anytime soon!
  • edited 16 October, 2006
    Tabby and I are indoor-only cats. Sometimes, Tabby gets to walk outside on a leash and her jacket. I prefer to stay indoors. I love door time, though!
  • edited 16 October, 2006
    My brother Skylar and I used to be outdoor cats, until a year ago, when we moved in with Karen. Now we're indoor cats. I want to be outside, still, and think about escaping whenever the door's open. Skylar goes outside on harness and eats grass, but he has a weak stomach so he gets sick afterwards. I hate harnesses, because when we moved Karen put one on me to take me outside, and I went on an adventure for two days with my harness on! She finally came and got me where another human had found me...two blocks down the street.
  • Elaine VigneaultElaine Vigneault ElaineVigneault.comMember Posts: 40
    edited 21 October, 2006
    Better inside and fat than outside and flat. Indoor cats live over twice as long as outdoor cats.
  • Mandy FeeneyMandy Feeney dundeeMember Posts: 7,973
    edited 5 November, 2006
    i like 2 go out every little while.now i am staying inside all night,coz of the bonfires.I hate them..........they scare me.
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 5 November, 2006
    Diesel is indoor unless we go out on his harness. He really loves being out climbing trees and catching everything that moves. Tucker is indoor only at his current home but will go out on the leash as well when he comes to our home.
13»