The best way to clean a litterbox?

Jillian Van WeeldenJillian Van Weelden BeamsvilleMember Posts: 40
edited 6 August, 2010 in Grooming
Hi all!! Moshi has been having the most awful wet, watery diarrhea for the past few days so I want to give the litterboxes a good cleaning because I also have another Siamese kitten who shares with Moshi. (Mo seems fine, not acting sick. I might bring him to the vet this week but my parents might kill me cause of the $) What are your tips for cleaning out litterboxes? What is the best way to get them clean?

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 2 August, 2009
    This is what I do........first, dump out all of the litter into a plastic bag and throw it away. Take the litter box outside (I have a patio in back of my townhouse. First I rinse the box with clear water, then put in some dishwashing liquid, put more water it and let that sit for a couple of minutes. Then I use a long handled brush (got this one in the aisle at the grocery store - used for cleaning pots, etc), and scrub the box well. Dump out this water, and rinse twice. Then I put in about a half cup of bleach, a littlet water and swish that around the litterbox. Dump out this water and rinse the box about three times. I put the box outdoors to dry, and the bleach odor is gone. Hope this is of some help, and that your kitten is feeling better.
  • Monique ReeceMonique Reece CoronaMember Posts: 775
    edited 2 August, 2009
    We use litterbox liners, and they help keep the actual litterbox itself pretty clean. But sometimes, there's leakage. Everytime we (and by we, i mean mama) clean the box, we remove the old liner with all the old litter, and scrub the box with comet or lysol cleaner to disinfect. Then we towel dry and put in a new liner and fresh litter.
  • Christina MetzdorfChristina Metzdorf WorthingMember Posts: 47
    edited 3 August, 2009
    we do a complete clean out once a week, put all the litter in a bag and then scrub out the cat box with spray disinfectant cleaner. it comes out all sparkly clean and right away the cats go in and soil it :))! im so sorry youre little kitty hasnt been feeling well. when Loki had diarrhea i called up the vet and they recommended feeding him little bits of boiled chicken. apparently it helps. if this diarrhea continues for a few days i really think Moshi should have a vet visit :( have you ever thought about taking out pet insurance for your kitties? (for your parents $ relief ;) ) best of luck!
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 29 August, 2009
    Mom cleans ours very simply and cheaply: empty out the litter, of course, and then sprinkle the inside of the box with baking soda (which is really cheap); add vinegar (also cheap) - let it foam, scrub it with a brush, sponge or cloth, rinse, and let dry. Simple, cheap, and utterly safe! NOTE: I don't know if it's still true, but I was told the Lysol can be poisonous to cats; personally, Mom wouldn't take a chance on using that around us felines. Just so you know.=;
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 29 August, 2009
    i highly recommend the baking soda idea. it's cheap and does help with the smell. i just cover the bottom of the litter box before i put new litter in. i tried using litterbox liners but all the cats scratch them up with their claws which makes them pointless and they just get in the way. also Lucy and Peanut play with the plastic, i think it's a kitten thing...i know if it's just my cats it seems like they don't work very well unless your cat is all 4 paw de-clawed (which i hope isnt the case :(( ) anyway, i only clean out the litter boxes once every few weeks because i have three that i scoop twice a day. it is a lot to do, but scooping once in the morning and once at night really helps so it doesn't smell and it's easier to clean when i do dump the litter
  • Meghan SMeghan S Rosslyn, VAMember Posts: 82
    edited 31 August, 2009
    Good tips and ideas and I'm sorry your kitty is sick! My vet told me to use liners and wash out the litter box often- especially when my kitties were sick. She said using bleach was ideal (just be sure to wash it out completely) because the bleach will kill any virus they may leave behind. Hope this helps!
  • judy silvermanjudy silverman Member Posts: 1
    edited 31 August, 2009
    I clean the litter pan every 4 weeks. On a daily basis I scoop 2 x a day- when i do the litter pan -i throw the old litter in a plastic bag and disgard. I wash the pan with soap and water, then spray bleach into the pan. I rinse out completly, dry and then refill with worlds best litter. It works. of course, if there is a BM and I just scooped it out- I just scoop that out. Sometimes Puff waits for a clean litter pan to decide to go! Hope this helps
  • Rhia FlanaganRhia Flanagan Member Posts: 10
    edited 8 September, 2009
    My mommy uses litter liners too but sometimes when i'm digging myelf a little hole in my kitty litter I scratch holes in the liners. When that happens she removes the litter with the liner and throws it away. Then she fills the tray with boiling water and washing up liquid and leaves it a while. Then she gives it a scrub and sprays in a little pet disinfectant.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 10 September, 2009
    Lots of good ideas here. I use dishwashing detergent as well as bleach, although my breeder doesn\'t like the idea of the bleach, because it leaves behind an odor and, while it is a disinfectant, is presumably poisonous to cats. So, rinsing well is a must, and drying in the sun is ideal. I hadn\'t thought of the baking soda idea, but I\'ll give it a try. I give my cats a dilute vinegar finishing rinse when I give them show shampoos. I must admit that one of my biggest shortcomings as a cat owner is that I hate cleaning litter boxes. I now have 6 adult cats and 4 kittens. The rule is to have one more box than the number of cats you have, but come on--11 boxes? To make up for the fact that I am currently only using three, I am training myself to be more assiduous in keeping the boxes clean. If I don\'t, the moment the cats sense that the toilet is too dirty for their delicate sense of smell, they use the bathtub. To be honest, I almost prefer that, because it\'s easier to clean the bathtub than litter pans! (Yes, I scrub out the bathtub before I use it myself--for a bath, not as a toilet.) There are three major goals regarding litter box cleaning. One is to prevent your cat(s) from developing the habit of inappropriate elimination. Two is hygiene--having cat feces and urine just sitting there for days is not just smelly but unsanitary (little buggies and flies can be attracted to the odor, and then track excreta all over the house). Thus, the desirability of using a disinfectant. Third, if you have multiple cats, unless you cage them or keep them in separate rooms with separate toilets, they can pass diseases along to each other through their feces--roundworms, coccidia, coronavirus (which can mutate into the fatal FIP), etc. One thing I\'ve learned is that litter boxes, depending on how often you clean them and what kind of litter you use, can absorb the ammonia odor of urine, and no amount of cleaning can get it out. So I buy new litter boxes every once in a while to get a fresh start. Hmm...what\'s that odor? Looks like someone has left a little present for me in one of my litter boxes. Gotta go check...
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 10 September, 2009
    Harvey, I also use dish detergent and bleach to clean the litter boxes. I let it sit and then scrub with a long-handled scrub brush like Pete\'s mom does. Then I rinse, rinse, rinse and then rinse and rinse again! However, I really like the baking soda/vinegar idea that Little Boy Blue mentioned. It sounds much safer and I\'ll give it a try. I use unscented, clay clumping litter and don\'t use liners or baking soda on the bottom of the box and my boxes don\'t smell (unless there\'s a fresh poop :D). The waste gets scooped at least 2x a day and now that I\'m not working, it\'s more like like 3-4 x a day. I add a little fresh litter at least once a day. When I smell a poop, I scoop it out immediately. I routinely empty all the litter and scrub the boxes every 3 weeks. I have 2 cats and they have 3 litterboxes. Like you, I replace them with new ones at least once a year.
  • Gillian NewberryGillian Newberry Member Posts: 146
    edited 16 September, 2009
    My mom uses Clorox Green Works cleaner on my box when she scrubs it. It's totally safe to use around pets and kids because it's natural and it doesn't smell too strongly, which is good for my sensitive kitty nose! I go right in when she gets done scrubbing!