the kittens are coming!

124»

Comments

• Susan BrillSusan Brill Member Posts: 19
    edited 7 September, 2009
    Hi! I'm fostering a mommy too and she takes frequent breaks. As long as she is feeding them often and snuggling them, don't worry :)
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 September, 2009
    Raza only had two kitten (Sam and Mr D) I would put a heated pad under the towel for the kittens to sleep on when Raza was away. I was happy for her to spend time away as she wasn\'t the purrfect mother. She was a little bit rough with them and didn\'t really know what to do. One time when the kittens were a few weeks old, she played with Sam and bit her in the neck (in the kill spot) luckily I got to Sam and carried a very limp kitten to safety. Her eyes were huge and it took many many weeks for her eyes to settle. One remained big for some time, so Raza definitely hurt her. She is fine now, (she is now 3 years of age) and clearly the most intelligent of all the cats. So luckily didn\'t suffer any brain damage. BUT it was scary at the time. I used to set up a small area for the kittens to hide in so Raza couldn\'t get to them and when they wanted food they could crawl to her. I know this sounds strange but I think every situation is different. If the kittens are happy, gaining weight, I wouldn\'t worry about them. ConCATulations on the new arrivals=D>~a~
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 7 September, 2009
    It is okay for Juno to take breaks. How long are the breaks? Aphrodite had a litter of two kittens outside before she really trusted me (Kahlan and a male kitten). Aphrodite had impeccable timing. She knew when I was going to be home from work. She had them across the parking lot and around the corner by someone's balcony under some bushes at our apartment complex. I was scared I was gonna freak Aphrodite and the kittens out, so I didn't venture over until they were a month old. Aphrodite would come to the door and eat food, then go back to her kittens. I caught Kahlan when she was 4 months old and the male kitten disappeared the day before Aphrodite brought them up to my front porch on the second story. Kahlan hissed at Gimli and the new kittens at first, but then she helped Aphrodite take care of them. I was grateful that Kahlan was there to help her mom, even though Kahlan was just a kitten herself. I'm sure Aphrodite was grateful too!
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 7 September, 2009
    OMC! Concats! Juno! Got any videos? OK people, here's how you determine the sex of a kitten 2 balls and a pee-pee = male can I make it any more obvious?
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 8 September, 2009
    MOL nina - you're funny. but it's really not that easy! i'm PRETTY sure one of the b&w and the calico are female, and the rest male. i have pictures and tried to take a video, but it's just her kinda licking herself, mol. But i can't find my camera battery charger so i need to find that before i can post pictures :( i got one okay picture from my mp3 player lol it's not that good..but check it out.. i'll have more soon i promise. i realized that Juno is taking breaks and she's being a very good mommy because they are short and she's right back to her babies. in all the excitement she hasn't had much cuddle time so she came up to me and we cuddled for a while and she was happy. SUCH a sweet girl, and as i've mentioned before - she has a home for when she is ready! his name is Josh and he visits her almost everyday. I was worried that once he met the kittens he would want one of them instead of Juno :( they need homes of course i just think it'll be a little easier to find them homes..lol..but he still wants Juno and he loves her and i'm so happy for her :) here's the pic http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/sukker4acoustic/Img00008.jpg
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 8 September, 2009
    Good for you Juno! Now all you have to do is raise those kittens right. ;)
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
    edited 8 September, 2009
    My foster kitty Tilly had loads of breaks, but the house was warm, and the kittens snuggled together, so nothing bad happened. The best test is to put your hand on the kittens, if they feel warm, then all is fine, if they feel cool, then you need to heat them up. Generally, if they're quiet, then all is well, kittens are very quick to get vocal if they want their mum! Even newborns! Personally, I never had to get involved, my kitty knew exactly what she was doing.
    edited 8 September, 2009
    i was gone for an hour this morning and when i woke up i had left my dresser open and she hid the kittens under it. i moved them back in the box and closed the dresser but now she really wants to hide them. do you think i am doiing something wrong, maybe handling them too much? i don't know if i should let her keep them under the dresser, i want to able to see them to make sure everythings going ok. i let the other cats roam around in the room because they completely leave Juno and the kittens alone, but maybe that was a bad idea?
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
    edited 8 September, 2009
    Definately keep the other cats away. Mommy cats do not like company, tilly actually attacked my kitties when they snuck in her room! But either way, close off anywhere that you don't want her to go, then let her roam. Cats move their kittens for a variety of reasons, tilly moved hers 3 times, once was because the kittens were opening their eyes and she wanted them in a dark place. Could this be the same here?
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 8 September, 2009
    The pictures are not there. We are so excited to see them.:(
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 September, 2009
    Awwwwwwwww, they\'re so cute!:c9 coochy, coochy, coooooo :D
  • Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Member Posts: 1,308
    edited 9 September, 2009
    Sky~ you have to delete the extra space it puts in the address after you paste it. Congrats the kittens and momma look great! Look what I have missed being gone for so long.:-O
    edited 9 September, 2009
    i'll have more pictures up either tonight or tomorrow ... :) i am almost positive that they are all boys except the calico
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 9 September, 2009
    OH my they are so cute. They look very large and healthy. xoxoxoox
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 10 September, 2009
    Oh Juno, Your babies are soooo cute!!!:c9 Mama says to enclose the top of that box they are in and just leave her the front hole to get in and out of. You can use a towel or tape down another piece of cardboard. You should hinge it though so you can open it up and still check on the babies. This may make her want to move them less cause she\'ll have more privacy. We wouldn\'t let the other kitties in with her either. If she insists on moving them, let her if you can tolerate it. But you will need to have access to them when they start needing the litter box at about 3 1/2 to 4 wks. or they will just go on the floor. It is at that age we like to lock them back up with the box or confine them to an area of the room. Of course that is when they become mobile so they will venture out of the nest anyways. Good Luck and Enjoy!!%:D%
    edited 14 September, 2009
    i dont know if anyone follows my post anymore but i have pictures!!!!! whats the easiest way to show?? im going to look if theres a picture option on the profile
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 15 September, 2009
    Hi Juno! :-h We want to see pictures! %:D% Can our mom upload them to your Catster page? My mom has a photobucket account. She saves a lot of our pictures there.
  • Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Member Posts: 1,308
    edited 16 September, 2009
    We want to see the pics!!! ;c;
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    I wanna see the pics tooooooooooooo Ive been waiting ever since the original post pacing the floor ! Where do i go?
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    ;) Wheres those little weeeeeeeeeee ones?
    edited 19 September, 2009
    you all are the best!! sorry for the wait, but i finally got pictures up!! here they are : http://fosterbabies1.shutterfly.com/
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 September, 2009
    Ahhhh ::o they are soooo cute=D>
124»