What can I do?

Kristi CaseyKristi Casey Member Posts: 47
edited 1 October, 2009 in Laws & Legislation
A few days ago my Lucky went missing. I tried searching for him but this dog kept snarling and snapping at my on my own property so I had to wait and try again later. The next day I searched for him in a vehicle so the dog couldn't get me. I found him in my horse field ripped to bits! There were pieces of him everywhere. He was chewed in two. I had to leave beause it was too much. I called someone else to go get him so I could bury him. It was so bad the person that gathered him up thought it was a lawn mower that killed him. I can't prove it was that dog, but there is only one dog running loose in my neighborhood. And he's always snarling and snapping. When I was searching the neighbors' places I saw only cats and small cat-sized dogs. One lady had some large dogs but they were kept behind a large wooden fence. That one dog that I think killed my Lucky kept acting like he was going to bite me. He would run up really close and bite at the air near me. I stood really still because I felt if I ran he would attack me. I'm sure if Lucky had met this dog he would have ran. I am scared for the other cats and dogs in my neighborhood, not to mention small children. I can't prove he killed my Lucky, but he has threatened me several times and made my search for Lucky a very scary ordeal. He's never bit me but he comes very close. Now I'm afraid he might do to me what he did to Lucky. What can I do about this dog? I am scared to be in my own field. I'm afraid he'll run my horses through the fences too.

Comments

• Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 23 September, 2009
    Simple: call animal control. Not only is he a dog at large, he is a dangerous dog at large. I wouldn't doubt it if someone had abused or neglected him and then dumped him when he became aggressive because of it. If that's the case, if the persons caught, he or she could get a heavy fine that they deserve. The dog will most likely be PTS, and that's sad to think since he might've had a different life, but it's better him than another cat, dog or child if it was him that did that to your cat. (it could've been a lawn mower, too... I knew someone that lost their cat to a lawn mower and the scene was very similar.) If animal control ignores your calls, keep on pestering. For a dog like that, it would be best not to take matters into your own hands. There's no telling what's wrong with him or what he'd do if someone tried to get too close.
  • Kristi CaseyKristi Casey Member Posts: 47
    I know it wasn't a lawn mower because my field was mowed on Saturday and I saw Lucky for the last time on Tuesday. This dog belongs to a neighbor. If it was just a stray I'd call animal control. I think maybe I should anyway.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Lucky, Have you talked to your neighbor about this at all? I wouldn't tell him/her that you suspect his/her dog killed your cat, but I would tell the neighbor that you tried to search for your cat in your property and his/her dog nearly attacked you for it. Tell him/her that since the dog does not understand you have a right to be there, it's up to his owner to make sure the dog stays on the owner's property. If this person is a good neighbor, they will take care to restrain the dog in the future so that you can walk around your property without feeling threatened by him. If you went on his property, however, you might have less of a case (after all, the dog's behavior might be justified as "he was just protecting my property"). Now, if you suspect that this person is not amenable to take precautions with this dog, and the dog is people aggressive, you have every right to call animal control and report that this dog tried to attack you. You should not be afraid for your own safety in your own property, and you should not wait until something happens to talk to AC. They will at the very least talk to the dog owner and tell them that someone reported being physically threatened by the dog (you can ask them to leave your name out of it if you fear your neighbor will retaliate), and that if they receive any more complaints, they will have to confiscate the dog. Since the dog did not in fact attack you, nor can you prove it killed your cat, AC can only warn them. After that first warning, do report any other run ins you may have with the dog. Also, alert your other neighbors that you have had problems with this dog. They might also have had problems with the dog wandering in their property and scaring their pets and kids. It would also help to have more than one person feeling like the dog is a nuisance, having several people repeat the same thing might convince the neighbor that it's best to keep this dog from wandering around (but then again, s/he might not care how many people are pissed off at him/her for it). Do the horses have a fenced enclosure they can be in? Or better yet, how are your two properties divided? I would put in a fence, or something to physically stop the dog from coming into your property to keep the horses (and you) safe. As for any other cats you have? You may have to keep them indoors for as long as this dog continues being a problem. I feel for you. Before I had cats, a few years ago, I would drive to school daily and there were three dogs who lived on a nearby residential property (these dogs were not strays; they were collared and I saw someone who lived there feed them at least once). The property was not fenced, and it was on a corner of a residential street. The dogs were not restrained, and wandered about the neighborhood. While two seemed to have a friendly disposition, one of them actually snarled at me as I drove by with my windows down. You better believe that I rolled my windows up ever since. I hated to think how terrified the neighbors must have been, but as it was not my neighborhood, and the dog hadn't actually bit me, I couldn't really report it. I just hope it did not bite anyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. :(
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 24 September, 2009
    I am very sorry for your loss of Lucky. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it was for you to find him. Are there any wild animals (coyotes or such) in your area that also could have caused Lucky's tragic end. I'm not sure where you are so I can't give a specific legislative answer. Most cities have an "at large" section of their ordinances regarding dogs. For example our city ordinance reads like this: 1159.06 NUISANCES. A. When not confined to the owner's premises, all dogs must be under the physical control of their owner or custodian and physically restrained by a leash or other restraining device at all times. If you can, learn your city's ordinance regarding at large animals. If you think your neighbor will respond reasonably to a request that they observe this ordinance with their dog, then speak with them. If you fear retribution or violence from initiating such a discussion with your neighbor then calling the police or animal control (as appropriate) in your city is your option.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 25 September, 2009
    Agree 110% with Noble. Obviously the dog is not being cared for in a good way. Sounds like very irresponsible people.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 25 September, 2009
    coyotes were my first thought. We are so sorry for your great loss! My Sister lost her cat and found her the same way. It was a coyote and she lived in Ca. at the time. We live near a small airport and they had reports and pic's of them. I locked up the big doggy door and that lasted about a month. I would defiantly check in to the coyotes. Ask your neighbors if thy have had any problems with the loose dog. |:||:|
  • donnie georgedonnie george Plains TownshipMember Posts: 109
    edited 26 September, 2009
    Yes what a sad story. and a great looking cat you had. But I looked to see what area you are in and there is a growing problem in this country about feral dogs running the streets in packs. And there aren't enough responsible owners of animals anymore they let their animals run like wild animals. I would go to see what ordinances are in your town for pets. And see if they have the proper licenses etc. the owners of these animals. And if not go after them and call the authorities. My heart goes out to you over your loss.
  • Karen ParsonsKaren Parsons GriffithMember Posts: 821
    edited 27 September, 2009
    Call for help if the dog is trying to get you! My cats are indoors, but, I'm not a critic because I feel that way and some don't. I'm so so sorry you had to see that. I love dogs, but you need to do something if your heart can take it. Wish I could offer u more...
  • Kristi CaseyKristi Casey Member Posts: 47
    edited 30 September, 2009
    Thank you for all the replies. There aren't any coyotes in this area. I've been in places with coyotes and you can hear them sometimes at night. I've never heard coyotes in my neighborhood. I think I live too close to the city. Plus, it seems like coyotes usually eat their prey instead of just kill and abandon. I'm going to check the local laws and get someone to talk to the neighbors that own the dog. I'm afraid to go up to their door because that dog tries to attack cars driving down that road. I'm sure if I got out of the car on their property it would bite me. I really feel their dog killed Lucky, but I can't prove that. But even if it didn't, it has threatened me and my mother before. I'm going to talk to my other neighbors and see if it's threatened them before. I wonder if they've done something to make the dog's personality like that. I've had lots of dogs, but I've never had one act like that. The fence around the horses is just designed to keep horses in. So small animals can go through easily. It would cost a lot and take a lot of time to redo the whole fence to keep dogs out. I don't feel like I should have to do that. I think they should build a fence to keep their dog in rather than me rebuild a fence to keep it out. But I'd rather redo the fence than have a horse get hurt if it comes to that. I'm keeping my cats inside now. It's too scary outside.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 30 September, 2009
    Lucky, we suggested the fence thing because we wanted to give you some advice that would cover everything, and that covers the eventuality that your neighbors are neither friendly, nor willing to spend money to make sure the dogs stays indoors. I do wonder if they did something to make him mean like that too, which is why I am not hopeful that just talking to the neighbors will do. That said, sometimes people surprise you. It may be that they have no idea the dog is behaving this way, and that it wasn't their fault it has become so aggressive. Perhaps he has had a bad experience with a car, and now he hates cars and the people in them? This is why I suggest talking to that neighbor or other neighbors to find out more about this dog, and what is going on. If you don't ask, you don't know. Most of all, if the gentle approach (talking to the neighbors, suggesting that their dog should be kept inside if he can't distinguish neighbors from strangers) fails, I want to stress that you can and should call AC and give them as much detail about how the dogs makes them feel threatened. They might not like to hear from a neighbor that their dog is a nuisance, but if AC gets involved, they won't have a choice but to listen (and if they don't? That's enough of a reason for AC to take the doggy away so he can be trained out of being aggressive if his owners won't take responsibility to do that).
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 1 October, 2009
    I would like to wish you the best of luck in pursuing this. Please let us know how things turn out.