Jumping on the countertops

Carol CoxCarol Cox Member Posts: 1
edited 9 October, 2009 in Behavior & Training
My kitten likes to jump onto the kitchen counters and then up onto the top of the refridgerator. I've tried using a squirt gun (he likes water). I will repeatedly put him back down on the floor and say no. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 9 October, 2009
    Try a tin pan with water in it. The water might not frighten him, but the sound of the tin pan crashing to the floor might scare him from going back. Good luck! Purrs, Coop
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 9 October, 2009
    Line the countertop with empty pop cans. When she jumps up they will fall and the sound should startle her. You can also rig it up with paper or cardboard right on the edge, with lots of cans on it, so that when she jumps up the paper or cardboard falls to the floor with all the cans on it! Big noise!
  • Marisol VazquezMarisol Vazquez ChicagoMember Posts: 75
    edited 9 October, 2009
    Try putting double sided sticky tape or foil on the counters. Most cats don't like stepping on foil or sticky tape. Maybe you should also get a cat stand/perch or a chair so he has a high place to jump on in the kitchen. Whenever you see him on the counter, remove him and then place him on the stand or chair. Hope this helps! :D