Is she Preggo?

Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
edited 6 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Hi there, My marmee\'s friend has a kitty that she thinks may be pregnant, but isn\'t sure. Marmee has not had a lot of experience with preggo cats as all of us are fixed. Her friend says that her kitty\'s belly is hard, and her nipples are getting bigger. So she thinks she is producing milk. The only thing is the kitty was never a very \"cuddly\" type cat, she preferred to do her own thing, but now she wants constant attention and loving. Marmee thinks she may be preggo, but is worried about her tummy being so hard. Is this normal for preggo kittys? The change in disposition, and the hardening belly? Her friend also does not know how far along she might be and was needing info on what to do for her kitty when the time comes. Marmee told her to take kitty to the vet, but her friend doesn\'t have a lot of money so she kinda doubts she will. :-( So if anyone knows of any links with info about this, or has had any experience we would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Comments

• Ashley WeatherholtzAshley Weatherholtz WhartonMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Firstly, why isn't this kitty spayed ? Secondly, if her belly starts to get larger and sort of droop and her nipples are visible and noticebly larger . . . then yes she may very well be. Some cats will keep the fur around their nipples away, sort of clearing so that the kittens will have easy access. Either way, she will have to take the cat to the vet, as she will need current vaccinations for the kittens well being, and also will need to know if the kittens are in proper positioning for a birth and no complications will occur. As in most cases, problems do occur in cat pregnancies and a vet needs to be in easy access so an emergency c-section can be preformed to save mother/kittens or both. The mother will also need to be switched to a kitten food high in protein so that she is getting what she needs for those kittens. Also, sometimes mother's don't lactate until 48 hours after birthing and sometimes this can cause the mother to refuse the kittens. . . going to a vet within an hour of the kittens birth, the vet can give her a shot to aid in lactating . . . if not you may have to bottle feed, which can cause problems with too much human contact with kittens before they are weaned, because they don't learn from their kitty mommies. . . they may develope bad litter box habits etc...I'd suggest having your friend look online for a reputable breeder in her area to aid her through the process of the birthing. . . the breeder may even have a vet in mind to take her to incase complications occur.
  • Denisa DekkerDenisa Dekker Lowell / Northwest IndianaMember Posts: 5
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sounds like there\'s going to be some babies on the way ;) I have been pregnant before, I had a litter of 2 kittens 2 years ago, and my mom could tell right away that I was pregnant. My nipples were enlarged, yes. *blushes* I couldn\'t get enough love either. I was constantly by my mom and dad, and anyone else that walked into the house. I purred 24/7. And also, if you looked at me from the front, my stomach bulged on both of my sides as well as underneath and my stomach was pretty firm. My mom had experience previously with 2 other cats who were also pregnant so she knew right away. :)
  • Alex KondosAlex Kondos TulsaMember Posts: 600
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I highly reccomend spaying the cat now, rather she is pregnant or not. If your friend cannot afford a vet visit, she certainly cannot afford to properly care for (quality food and flea prevention, plus vet exams, shots, deworming and pediatric spay/neuters for all the kittens) a litter. Here is a list for three low cost clinics in your state. I'm sure any of them will spay a pregnant cat (never met a vet who wouldn't). If it bothers you, drop her off and tell them you don't want to know whether or not she was pregnant. Pawprints on the Heartland Pittsburg KS 1-877-887-7729 Mobile s/n clinic that visits outlying area in the community. Humane Society of Greater Kansas City Kansas City, KS 913-596-1000 The Pet Connection Overland Park KS 913-671-PETS If none of those are close to you, let me know and I'll see what else I can find.
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 27 February, 2006
    DO NOT vaccinate a pregnant cat. It could kill the kittens. Your kitty is probably pretty far along and yes, a pregnant cat's belly is firm {rather than flabby}. If the nipples are large and pinked up then that is also a clear sign of pregnancy. Most pregnancies and deliveries go without a hitch, but just in case, have the number of a 24-hour vet on hand if problems come up. Problems include straining for more than an hour without producing a kitten--this is a sign of an emergency. {As distinguished from the mother simply taking a break between kittens--she can rest up to a few hours between kittens and as long as she doesn't seem in any distress, just let her wait. Usually the kittens come fairly quickly, though.} And most births occur at night. Have some KMR {kitten milk replacer} on hand too with an eyedropper in case her milk does not come in on time--48 hours to wait for milk means the kittens die. Good luck!
  • Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for all the replies. I believe she is pregnant as well. I do not know why the kitty isn\'t spayed. All of us are spayed and neutered, as well as indoor-only kitties, so mommy doesn\'t understand that either. We don\'t think our friend wants to give the mama kitty up, or kill the kittens by spaying. We have urged her to get kitty spayed after birth, so no more kittens will be born. We will pass the info about the place in Kansas City along to our friend and urge her to think seriously about what all having a litter of kittens entails, such as getting their shots, and eventually spay/neuter and finding them good homes. Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated!
  • Alex KondosAlex Kondos TulsaMember Posts: 600
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Since your friend is opting to let her cat go ahead and have kittens, please remind her that all need to be spayed/neutered before they leave her house. Most low-cost clinics will do pediatric altering- just call around.