Christmas Tree,..What do you do?

Destiny JDestiny J Member Posts: 196
edited 13 November, 2006 in Plus Informational
We are 12 weeks old and as most kitties our age, we love to climb on and in everything. Mommy wants to know how your moms & dads keep you away from the christmas tree. We're still in our "special play room" when the family is gone, but can you let us in on how these humans plan to keep us off the soon to come Christmas Tree (and all of thse wonderful presents and bows and stockings and,..woweeee, we can't wait until the Holidays!) Purrs to all !

Comments

• edited 1 November, 2006
    Aaaaak, Christmas already??! *peeks cautiously back in thread* Ask Marina or Klemmy...what you do with the tree is Destroy It!
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 1 November, 2006
    There is absolutely positively no way to keep me out of the tree! Not even those bad smelling sprays that did nothing but stink up the house. My parents gave up and just put bows on the tree. Not Mom's favorite look. After all, she has many lovely glass ornaments. But, she just didn't want to be stressed trying to keep me out of the tree last year. Oh, a spray of water just does not deter me. I figured out that I don't melt. Haha!
  • Destiny JDestiny J Member Posts: 196
    edited 1 November, 2006
    I think my human needs to face the facts,..we're in our toddler, terrible two stage and as you two said,...we WILL get the tree. Mommy says she likes the bow idea. Maybe we will get a "Kitty's First Christmas", Christmas tree. She could put bows, toilet paper rolls, paper lunch bags, cat nip socks, etc,.. on the tree!! Fun Now, that would be the life!
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 2 November, 2006
    My first Christmas, the tree tried to eat me! I took one of my running jags, took a flying leep into the middle of the tree, and couldn\'t get out. Mom has a pic that she displayed as my main last year. Not sure if it\'s in my photos now. I was always getting myself stuck in things. But I never jumped at the tree again, or tried to climb it after that.
  • edited 2 November, 2006
    I destroyed Mom's favorite plant, I can destroy Mom's favorite Christmas tree too! Heheh. You better hope those humans don't outsmart you. MOL!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 2 November, 2006
    Here's a tip: Many cats HATE citrus fruits. You can test this on your cat, some cat's don't mind em but many cats can't stand them... Our last cat really hated them, so what we did when we saw she was too interested in the Christmas tree was slash some oranges open and then place them underneath the tree. It worked! She stayed away after that. We did this every year and it always worked. Unfortunately, our new kitty does not dislike oranges at all so it won't work for her. Luckily though she's too big and lazy to be interested in climbing the tree! Another thing we have always done is the bottom 4th of the tree or so never contains breakable ornaments. We only use ones that are not fragile, mainly because that's the height of my Golden Retriever's "happy tail" but also because some kitties would love to bat the dangling ornaments. We've been doing this pretty much my whole life because when I was growing up my family had a small dog who liked to crawl underneath the tree for a nap, and she'd knock against the ornaments and they'd fall off...now it works well for curious kitties and happy dog tails too!
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 2 November, 2006
    My critters don't bother the tree unless there is something dangling from the bottom of the tree (silly Mommy for putting it there). Summer and Winter tried to climb it but they hated the feeling of the needles in their pads and never botheres it again. pepper is just too old to car. :) I try to keep appealing objects off the tree like birds with feathers and tinsel (which my cats like to eat). Also, if you are worried about somecritter knocking over the tree - screw it to the floor (unless of course, you have hard wood or new carpeting). Our carpet is kinda old so when we take out the screws you would never know they were there and this prevented a few mishaps.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 November, 2006
    When I was a kit, my humans brought one of those trees into our house and started decorating it. I wanted to contribute my own personal touch to the tree, so I sprayed all over it! I was neutered shortly after. *blushes*
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 3 November, 2006
    We never climbed the Christmas tree. The one and only Christmas tree that was ever put up by my mommy and daddy, me and Missy enjoyed drinking the water out of the waterwell that the cut tree was put into. Daddy and mommy tried to discourage us. Then mommy saw one day that drinking water out of that waterwell could poison us, b/c of the pine sap. No more trees after that.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 3 November, 2006
    Yes, the christmas tree water is very bad for you! What we do is we take the netting that the tree comes wrapped in (most tree lots will wrap up the tree in a netting thing after you choose it, so it is easier to transport home) and we put the netting around the water reservoir under the tree. That way we can still water the tree but the animals cannot get to it to drink the water.
  • Jacqueline GonzalvesJacqueline Gonzalves AtwaterMember Posts: 13,637
    edited 3 November, 2006
    I'm so glad you asked! Mommy KNOWS I'mna be in it. In fact, I think she is just going to have a photo of a Christmas tree this year.
  • Karen BrockKaren Brock TorontoMember Posts: 5,152
    edited 4 November, 2006
    Ooooh, I love the tree too!! Yay, I guess this means the tree is coming back soon!! Last year was my first Christmas, and I was determined to climb that tree it no matter what! Those yucky sprays would only keep me out for a short time. I think the only thing that I really disliked about them was the noise they made when they were sprayed! So mom tied the tree to the wall. Yep, that's right, tied it. She got some of those removable stick on hooks (and they really did peel off the wall afterwards and there were no marks! But they need to be the removable kind). She put the tree into a corner, put the removable stick on hook on each wall in the corner and tied the tree to the hooks. Didn't look that pretty but the tree looked prettier and it didn't fall over when I went in it!! Many years ago when she had another kitty who would go in the tree, she tied it to a ceiling hook. That worked too. Looks a little more obvious though, MOL. So that will stop the tree from falling over. As for the ornaments, mom made sure they were well attached. Those little wire hooks work good. They shook, but didn't come off. By the way, our tree is artificial (I love it anyway) because the big boy has tree allergies. So mom doesn't have to worry about me drinking the water. Have fun, Po
  • Lisa HoweLisa Howe ToledoMember Posts: 513
    edited 4 November, 2006
    Mom doesn't put up a tree any longer, we wouldn't stay out of it so she said forget it, my grandma gave her one she got at a craft show, it's made out of fabric, now we can't get hurt or destroy the tree.
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 6 November, 2006
    I\'m a year old and Gracie is 2.5, but, Mom says she thinks there will be no tree this year, she just wouldn\'t trust us while she was at work, ~~heehee~~. She\'s planning to put up other decorations and maybe a small decorative tree, like you can get from Hallmark, but no actual tree with decorations and lights. Better safe than sorry, she says~~well Dang! Checkers
  • Brittany TisdaleBrittany Tisdale Bartlett/MemphisMember Posts: 726
    edited 19 November, 2006
    We use the plastic christmas ornaments so if they knock them off we can just stick them back. Our cats are either to lazy too fat or too old to climb the tree so it isn't as much of a problem anymore. We don't hang the ornaments on the bottom 1/4 so they can't reach them. The only ones we have to watch for getting the ornaments are Sapphire and Sable (one of out other cats that isn't on catster), Sapphire can't climb the tree because I keep his claws clipped ('cause the're HUGE!!) and he probably doesn't know how or why on earth you would climb a tree. We also keep a spray bottle handy so if somebody does figure out how to climb we can sprits them. Good luck with those toddlers! Purrs, Chris
  • Heather StuebsHeather Stuebs Green BayMember Posts: 424
    edited 6 November, 2006
    Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree, How Lovely are your branches (bent over as they are from us climbing them). My sister Callie and I like to climb the tree too. We\'ve always had artificial, but mom and dad are going to try a real tree this year. Here\'s the score so far on the tree 1st year - we climbed it like crazy, but they thought it was cute because we were little kittens 2nd year - tree got put up, and then taken down 2 days later (we destroyed it), and then reassembled in the extra bedroom where we\'re ALWAYS supervised (you\'d think they didn\'t trust us!) 3rd year - tree got put up, and survived a number of attacks, lucky for the tree we\'re heavier now so we can\'t climb as far up any more 4th year - this year, we\'re going to see how a real tree works
  • Kim YeagerKim Yeager FargoMember Posts: 1,689
    edited 12 November, 2006
    momma actually just put up the tree today and I was climbing in it before she even got any decorations on it. There really isn't much momma can do to stop me from playing in the tree. I mean, I do all the trouble making when she's working but I try when she's home too even though I know I'm not supposed to. When she catches me, and says my name, I run like the wind to hide cuz' I know I'll get in trouble. Another thing I like is the bow on presents..momma actually had to REwrap all her presents last year before she took them with her to grandma's house..I unwrapped them all or ripped them anyways!!(they're so fun, I can't resist) My brother, Stinky on the other hand just lays under the tree..it's his favorite napping spot.
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 12 November, 2006
    Mom got a fake table sized tree, so far we've ignored it. She may get a 6' fake tree, if so it will be her first one in over 10 years!
  • Jacqueline GonzalvesJacqueline Gonzalves AtwaterMember Posts: 13,637
    edited 12 November, 2006
    We have a fake Christmas tree, cause Mommy is totally allergic... and those ends of the branches make GREAT chewies! I don't think I'll get another chance at it this year with that rotten kitten. He'll think he is some kinda kitty-squirrel, and be climbing it driving us all nuts! Maybe they make ceramic ones! MOL! If he climbs that, he'll just slide off!
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 13 November, 2006
    I\'VE NEVER SEEN A CHRISTMAS TREE CAUSE MAMA DIDN\'T HAVE ONE LAST YEAR CAUSE OF ME AND THE OTHER FOSTER KITTIES IN THE HOUSE. NOT SURE IF WE\'RE GETTING ONE THIS YEAR OR NOT. THE YEAR BEFORE THEY TIED THE TOP OF THE TREE TO A HOOK IN THE CEILING WITH FISHING WIRE SO IT WOULDN\'T FALL OVER. THEY ALSO PUT THE CRAPPY ORNAMENTS ON THE BOTTOM SO IF THEY GET RUINED IT DOESN\'T MATTER. I REALLLY REALLLLY HOPE WE HAVE A TREE THIS YEAR!!!