all of a sudden not pooping in litter box

Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
edited 27 October, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Juno is my foster. When i first got her, she pooped on the floor a few times. She was a stray, and she started using the litter box and hadn't had an accident for a very long time, so i figured she just needed time adjusting. But now for the past few days she will only poop on the floor. I don't get it. She goes to the litter box to pee, but poops on the floor either in the bathroom or in my room on my hard wood floors. Nothing has changed, i use the same litter, i keep it clean. She isn't declawed. The only difference is that now her kittens are using the litter trained, but they have been using it for the past 3 weeks. I don't know what to do because she is getting ready to go to her new home, and i know this might be a problem. please help!!!!!

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 27 October, 2009
    Could it be because the kittens are using the litter box? Just a thought. And what wonderful news that Juno has adopted people, so realize your concern. The New Orleans Kitties
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 27 October, 2009
    Can you put another box out for her in a different place? She might feel there are too many using that one box.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 27 October, 2009
    Yes an extra litterbox might be what's needed, or maybe you might want to try to clean the box more often. With five kittens and a cat using the same box, believe you me, it gets pretty full pretty fast, because young kittens have tiny tiny bladders. When Gracie came to live with us, cleaning her litterbox twice a day didn't really cut it. I was scooping up to 4 times a day to keep her training pan clean! Nowadays she and Boris share a box, but cleaning it twice a day does the trick. So increase the time you scoop many times a day, or get one or more boxes so that there are more places to poo in for momma cat.