Mommy's worried about Arthur

Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
edited 12 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Arthur hasn't been feeling too good for the last couple of days. He acts like his tummy is bothering him, and the other night he was making gagging noises but nothing was coming up. Mommy gave him some hairball remedy and hairball control treats but it didn't seem to help at all. Last night, he didn't come and snuggle in bed like normal and now he's not in the mood to play or be held. His meow sounds scratchy like it does when he's been vomiting but as far as we know nothing has come up. He's still eating and drinking fine, he hasn't skipped any meals. He doesn't seem to be running a fever. No problems with his breathing. If he doesn't feel better really quick, he'll have to go to the vet. In the meantime, mommy wants to try a few more home remedies. She's probably going to take him outside in his harness to eat some grass tonight....other than that, she's running out of ideas. :-( Any suggestions?

Comments

• jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OOOh Beatrice, Doofy, here! I\'m so sorry to hear about Arthur! I really hope he is going to be okay, it\'s such a worry when we aren\'t up to our ol\' selves! I don\'t know what could be the matter, maybe he just ate something that he shouldn\'t have? I hope he\'s better real soon! Please keep us updated! Sending lots of purrrrrrrrsssss! Saffron
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Doof--I mean Saffron! ;-) We will keep you posted for sure! I forgot to mention, too, that he keeps smacking his lips like he does when he feels like throwing up. I hope he feels better soon, too!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OH! I did that too when I accidently, on purrpose, dunked my paw in my girl's cereal! I was smacking my lips for a good twenty minutes until I, well, :: hangs head:: threw up! I also was visibly uncomfortable and wasn't sitting in one area for long, [ it was my first experience with that getting sick business and I didn't know what was going on]. I kept moving around and she knew something was up [or was about to come up] and was following me around with a paper towel! It was very disturbing for both of us! Maybe Arthur just has a well lodged hairball? Or a tummy ache! Purraying that it's something simple like that! Love, Doofy
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, dear, Bea! Oh, dear dear Arthur! Sounds like you have all the bases covered, but if he is still listless and doesn't want to be held, a vet visit might be in order. In the meantime, we will send wellness purrs.....
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks, Selket! Saffron, we don\'t think Arthur\'s eaten anything unusual lately. Just the usual food and treats. He DID get outside a few days ago, but he was only missing for about 15 minutes, so mommy didn\'t think that was long enough to have gotten into anything, but then you never know! I guess mommy\'s kind of worried, too, because even though the rescue group that we\'re fostering Ben for assured her that he was healthy, they didn\'t give us any vet records. Since Arthur and I are indoor cats, his are the only other feline germs we\'ve come into contact with in a long, long time. And though he does seem healthy (maybe a little TOO healthy--*getting dizzy watching him zoom around the room at 100 mph*), again--you never know! But then, I don\'t know of any contagious diseases that cause hairball symptoms (?). Maybe mommy\'s just paranoid?
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    The only contagious thing I know of that has hairball like symptoms is kennel cough. When mommy first brought Spike home, he was heaving like he wanted to throw up but nothing came out and he was also smacking his lips. She took him to the vet and it was indeed kennel cough and had to be isolated for 2 weeks while mommy gave him human medicine. I hope that's not the case but if it is, it is easily treated. Keep us posted and we hope he feels better!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom says to be careful with giving home remedies if you don't know what is causing the problem--that is why it is really important for Arthur to go to the vet so they can examine him and determine what is making his tummy so upset. What you may be diagnosing as a hairball may be nothing of the sort--please seek professional help before trying to give him anything.
    Has Arthur ever had a full blood test done? That lip-smacking thing, along with gagging and vomiting, can be the very first sign of a kidney problem. I would definitely get that checked out by a vet, because Arthur is reaching the age where things like that become a little more common.
  • Jennifer CapitaoJennifer Capitao MiddletownMember Posts: 82
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I hope Arthur is okay.. keep us updated! kitty kisses
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Come to think of it, Spike does smack his lips as well!
    Alex does too but it\'s usually a \"hey, I just woke up\" *smack-smack-smack* thing. When it gets to be a problem is when they do it really often and especially after they eat or drink.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Kiko and Alex--you're right, of course. We were just thinking of remedies we could try in the meantime until he could see the vet. Didn't think hairball gel and a little grass nibble would hurt anything. Anyway...Arthur saw the vet today. The vet ran blood tests for liver and kidney function. Liver enzymes were well within normal. Kidney tests showed a very slight deviation from normal. He was running a bit of a fever and the vet noticed a little swelling of his left kidney, so his diagnosis was a kidney infection. He gave Arthur injections of a broad-spectrum antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory, and gave mommy some more antibiotics to give him. As far as the gagging, hacking, and lip-smacking goes, he said to go ahead and give him the hairball treatment if it seems to help. :-) We are all very relieved!
  • Johnnie CrawfordJohnnie Crawford Member Posts: 40
    edited 27 February, 2006
    So glad Arthur\'s okay. We know he will be fine by the time he finishes his meds. Our vet said we could have a little pineapple juice with our hairball remedy - so your mom might want to try that. It\'s kinda mixed emotions about that in our house - some of us like it and some dont. Keep us posted on Arthur\'s progress. Meows
    I am glad that Arthur has a diagnosis and a treatment plan! My mom says that all too often she sees people who are trying to treat problems in cats that are not what they think they are. A lot of times this isn't a big deal--unless someone is (for example) so bent on treating a "hairball" that they wait too long before seeking help for what is really an intestinal foreign body. Sometimes it IS a big deal, like when someone gives an adult human dose of aspirin (or better, Tylenol) to a sick cat. I am sure Arthur will feel better, even if he doesn't like his medicine!
    I\'m sorry Arthur has a kidney infection, but it\'s good that he got to the vet quickly. We cats aren\'t always very good about letting our humans know when something is wrong. Way to go, ArthursMom, for picking up on such subtle signals from your kitty!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    YAY! ::happy kitty dance:: I'm so glad that Arthur will be okay... yucky infections! Thank you Beatrice for updating us! Love, Saffron