Herpes!!

rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
edited 14 October, 2005 in Cat Health
yes you read it right. i'm talking about Feline Herpes. my poor baby Two-Tone has it since i've had her(she's a shelter baby) and i was wondering if anyone else has/had a kitty with this virus. lately she's lost a bit of weight, not underweight but she wasn't over weight before either, so i was a bit worried . any advice?

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    Don't. Freak. Out. Nearly ALL cats have this virus, though not all of them will have chronic problem with it. It is not life threatening, and you probably got it from your mom when you were a kitten--that is where cats get it from. Stress can bring out flare ups of the virus, which lives in the large ganglia of the facial nerve most of the time. Flares ups typically result in a conjunctivitis. If your mom gets cold sores, she is in the same boat. There is no cure for herpes, despite recent claims about olive leaf oil (or something similar) The amino acid Lysine can be used to moderate attacks, and it even comes in a yummy paste available for cats. If your vet doesn't stock it, a 250 milligram tablet from the health food store can be given every day instead. This isn't really something you should be scared of--it is a common infection that is more annoying than harmful.
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    oh i know about the Lysing tablets cause i used to have icky eyes and sneeze a lot. mommy was just worried about me losing weight suddenly. could it be from the virus or something else?
    Its unlikely that Herpes virus is causing the weight loss (it typically only causes serious problems in the very young, the very old and those with poor immune systems--such as cats with FIV or on chemotherapy) If you are not in one of those categories, you need to have your mom take you to the vet so that you can be checked out for things like kidney disease, hyperthyroidism and diabetes...hopefully everything will be normal and your vet will tell your mom to feed you a bit more (YAY!)
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    well i'm not under weight yet and i am actually a really good weight now. we just got switched to California Natural dry food and i seem to be shedding a Lot less than i used to so maybe i'm just healthier? mommy will monitor me closely to make usre i don't get too skinny, even though i have food available 24/7.
    I agree with Kiko. Sudden weight loss can be an indication of something serious and definitely merits a visit to the vet. Here\'s a way to think of it. A one-pound loss for a cat can be equivalent to a 15- to 20-pound loss in a human. That seems significant to me and I would be concerned about it if it happened really fast. 1/4 to 1/2 pound per month is a good rate for a cat to lose weight. I\'ve been losing at that rate since I switched to eating EVO and the vet says I\'m fine. (Well, he said I\'m still a \"fat slob\", but I really resent that. What? Like he\'s some drop-dead hunk?! Jerk!)
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    HOLY CAT! I didn\'t realize that, Alex! I mean I knew one pound was a lot, but NOT that much! I think I better go have a nibble, you know, just incase! Two-tone I sure hope you just lost fur and not weight! I wouldn\'t want anything wrong with such a purrecious girl! I was wondering, can those humans pass off their herpes simplex 1 [ cold sores ] to us kitties, if they kiss us? Love, Saffron
    Herpes Simplex hasn\'t been observed to jump species between cats and humans. It can pass between chimps and humans. Humans can also be infected with chimp herpes. My understanding is that this generally happens when humans are bitten by chimps, not through kissing. :-3 There are other viruses that definitely do pass between humans and cats though. Rabies is an obvious one. Even though you\'ve been vaccinated, it\'s better not to let strange humans bite you. Certain types of strep have been found to jump species too. (Just to be clear, there are lots and lots of types of strep. It doesn\'t cause just one specific illness, like measles. That\'s why humans can get strep a bunch of times, but can only get measles once.)
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    "he said I'm still a "fat slob", but I really resent that. What? Like he's some drop-dead hunk?! Jerk!" -------------------- Yeah, no kidding! At least you're not some hairless thing that covers its body with fur substitute and stumbles around on its hind legs! You are a graceful, beautiful feline person! Who does your vet think he/she is, calling YOU a 'slob'?? Your vet needs to look in the mirror! ;-)
    I\'m glad you understand what I\'m trying to say here, Arthur. The nerve of some humans! Just because they have opposable thumbs doesn\'t mean they are good for anything but opening cans of food.
  • Devyn GlennDevyn Glenn EastvaleMember Posts: 160
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OH MY GOSH! What are the symptoms?!? I MIGHT HAVE IT! I'M EXPOSED! AAAHHH!