any other cats out there with feline herpes?

edited 8 January, 2010 in Plus Friendly
Me and my sister Alexis both have feline herpes. Mommy and daddy found that out when alexis couldnt stop sneezing and coughing. The vet said she got it from me, the place i came from never knew i had it. So we like to meet other cats with it. We used to be on meds for it. So we like to meet other kitties with it.

Comments

• Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 7 December, 2009
    Hi, Nellie -- I have it, but the shelter knew that I had it before Meowmmy adopted me. I had terrible, painful ulcers in my eye which were caused by the herpes. And they just weren't healing. Apparently, the herpes virus can cause these icky ulcers. But Meowm adopted me anyway! She had to give me all kinds of drops. She even took me to a veterinary ophthalmologist who put a contact lens in my eye to help me heal. I'm all better now, but it took a few months for me to get well. I still take l-Lysine, though. Meowmmy doesn't want me to flare up again. Purrs, Coop
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 7 December, 2009
    I have feline herpes and I also take L-Lysine. Every now and then I get a sinus infection thingie and take an antibiotic. I use a vaporizer a lot and I'm doing good ;) Little Red
    edited 7 December, 2009
    I'm Little Red's sisfur and I also have herpes eyes. I already had a bad case of eye ulcers when I was adopted into the family. I don't have big flare-ups as much as Little Red, my eyes mostly just have a little tear and I sneeze a bit...but my eyes are VERY scarred with milky scars and I look almost blind. But I'm not. I see fine. ~Bedelia
    edited 8 December, 2009
    Bedelia, it sounds like we have the same problems! I have a little scarring on my eye, but like you, I can see fine. My eye doctor said that what it looks like to me is just like a smudge on a pair of glasses. Purrs, Coop
    edited 8 December, 2009
    When mydeep eye ulcers were healing, the blood vessels from the whites of my eyes crept over into the front of my eyes to feed and nourish the healing. This is a normal process called "neovascularization" and after the healing is done, the little vessels disappear and go back to where they came from. But mom didn't know this and had never heard of it and she was freaked out because I had big red vessels on the front of my eyes and she could hardly look at it and slammed me into a carrier and went screaming to the vet mol! I was fine tho =) (Mom called me Zombie Eyes and I looked pretty scary for a while.) Teehee ~Bedelia
    edited 8 December, 2009
    I just kept winking my right eye (where the ulcers were), and Meowm called me her little winky baby! MOL!
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 8 December, 2009
    My name is Tasha and I have feline herpes virus *raises paw* Sneezing and pink eye flare ups for me- I am also on L-lysine to boost my little immune system =;
    edited 8 December, 2009
    My name is Coop and I'm a l-Lysine-holic! :)) Seriously...those l-Lysine treats are delish! Purrs, Coop
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 8 December, 2009
    I'm on L-lysine also--I get the powder (Viralys brand) as meowma finds it to be more economical. The human kinds are the very least expensive, and the pill is the right dosage, but i'm a picky eater anyway and won't touch anything with those tabs crushed up into it. But, yes, I agree with everyone here--the lysine works!
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 8 December, 2009
    Coop :))! L-lysine-holic! :))!
    edited 10 December, 2009
    MOL! Tash, you KNOW how good those treats are! Meowm had to take the bag away from me last night! Anyone else love the taste of their l-Lysine treats?
  • Cindy WellsCindy Wells PortlandMember Posts: 320
    edited 8 January, 2010
    Both me and my sisfur have it. Our vet doesn\'t believe that Lysine has proven benefits, but I\'ve been on it on and off, depending on whether I\'m willing to lap it up or not. I have had the runniness in my right eye and sneezing, with occasional eye or resperatory infections. My sisfur usually only has trouble with sneezing, unless I pass on an eye infection to her. For support you might want to join the Catster group \"Information and support on FHV\". I\'m a member, and you can find a link on my page, or do a group search.