kitten with bad teeth?

Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
edited 10 January, 2010 in Cat Health
has anyone ever had a kitten (under a year) have bad teeth? this foster kitten has her adult teeth and gingavitis allready. but she is the same size as a 4 month old or really small 5 month old kitten. she stumps me. is she a kitten with bad teeth or an adult whos growth was stunted? she came fromoutside so i have no history on her.

Comments

• Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 9 January, 2010
    She may be prone to gingivitis due to genetics. I have two cats who were rescued. One has perfect teeth and gums, the other has bad gingivitis even after getting her teeth cleaned 3 months ago. My vet told me she is simply a \"tarter maker\". I have to rub a dental gel on her teeth and gums every evening. I would take your cat to the vet and see what they say. You may have to start either doing the dental gel or brushing their teeth. Best of luck.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 9 January, 2010
    If cats (or people) are mal-nourished when they are young it can give them bad teeth and stunt their growth so she may be older than she appears. As the other poster says there are also medical/genetic reasons why some young cats can get really bad gingivitis. If you can get a vet to look at her they can probably give you a better idea.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 10 January, 2010
    i plan on getting her vetted next week. I just wonderd. she lived outside off of trash and scraps. im assuming she had human contact early on because she is afraid of people but once she knows them she is like velcro trying to headbutt you. she eats fine but i wonder what it is..bad teeth, bad growth or both? she certinly didnt have the best growing up im assuming, considering i think she was someones kitten who got thrown outside
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 10 January, 2010
    The most important thig is that she has a family to love her now. Purrs to you for rescuing her. I was found outside too, and was all scratched up & my paw pads torn up & I was pretty sick. But you can see by my picture that now I am a happy kitty! I know the vet usually tells by what teeth are grown in to determine the age. Very curious to know the outcome on Sweet Pea, please let us know!
  • Gina GroneGina Grone Beatrice, NebraskaMember Posts: 217
    edited 10 January, 2010
    I would definitely have her tested for feline leukemia and FIV. Chronic gingivitis and tooth issues can be a problem with feline leukemia cats. Good luck!
  • Ashley SzymkowiczAshley Szymkowicz KingstonMember Posts: 462
    edited 10 January, 2010
    My old cat Putsy was like that. We rescued her when she was a year old and she already had extreme plaque build up. By the time she was about 7 or 8 she had lost most of her teeth. Now that she's about 14 she has 2 teeth left, one front top and one middle bottom. She somehow manages to eat dry food just fine but we give her canned too. We tried everything all her life, brushing teeth, dentals, nothing ever helped unfortunatly. Vet said it was genetics.