Won\'t eat after medicine

Mike SloanMike Sloan Member Posts: 2
edited 12 January, 2010 in Cat Health
I have had chronic upper respiratory infections ever since I was born. Last summer we found out I was heatworm antibody positive. Over the last couple months, I have been very congested and the vet has put me on an antibiotic. It was not working, so they put me back on the original medicine I used to take, Clavamox. This has never given me problems in the past. The medicine is working as my congestion is almost gone. But, I have decided not to eat my cat food. Over the last 3 days I have barely had anything to eat or drink. My owners often would give me treats after they gave me the medicine. Now when they try to give me a treat I gag. I will eat their human food, but I will not eat my dry or wet food. When I called the vet, they told me to keep giving her the medicine and to mix human food with the cat food. They tried mixing the foods tonight but I still would not eat the cat food and the treats still make me gag every time they try to give them to me. They have even tried many different flavors of the food. What should my owners do?

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 January, 2010
    I'd think the most important thing right now is to get you eating. Any food is better than no food. When a kitty in our family is sick, our mom will give us turkey or chicken baby food (making sure it's the kind with no onion or garlic). Some cats respond to strong-smelling foods, like fish. Long-term, your humans might want to start giving you L-Lysine. They can get it in capsules at the health food store and mix it with your wet food, or it comes in treat and gel form, too. It can really help kitties with chronic URIs. Keep us posted, Coco! |:|
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 12 January, 2010
    This is Delyte. I used to do this too after every kind of oral medication. They told my person to try giving me an over-the-counter human stomach medicine, but that didn't help either. [I forget which kind but it might have been Prilosec.] And then when I was ten they found I had that huge benign tumor which they think might have been caused by stomach irritation from one of the medications. So now I am not allowed any kind of pills. If the medication can't be given in a shot form or in the gel kind that is rubbed on the skin, then I can't take it. Your tummy is probably being irritated by the medication, but you are still hungry so you try to eat the great human foods. Like they said, food is food, anything you will eat and keep down, cooked chicken, cat food, tuna or whatever. Ask your vet about taking something that will settle your stomach. They do formulate a lot of medications in the gel kind now, so you might also check that if you are going to have to take the medicine a lot. Giant purrs to you from the most touchy stomach ever found in a cat! But it sure has gotten me a lot of tasty human food, although it is not much of a trade off.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 12 January, 2010
    I just had a foster on Clavamox which is supposed to be given with food, but I noticed she wouldn't go back to her food dish after the medicine. So I would feed her first when she was really hungry, then give the Clavamox when she was done, like dessert. There's only about a week's worth if you have the liquid version so we made it through. Hopefully your appetite will come back when the medicine is done.
  • Trica ReynaTrica Reyna JacknsonvilleMember Posts: 280
    edited 12 January, 2010
    have you talked to your vet about her having an upset tummy? Maybe an option would be to feed her with a hand feeding syringe and possibly try getting her on a high cal supplement if she is loosing weight or if you are worried about that . I second trying the L-Lysine, I would smash it up in a little wet food and give it to her with a syringe if you can. good luck, I hope she feels better soon.