Um... we have a problem....

Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
edited 15 January, 2010 in Cat Health
My teeth are very, very bad and I am scheduled for a dental on Tuesday. The vet office says that they will be using Ketamine "because it is reversible", and they said that they called the company and their supply is NOT one of the ones that were recalled. Should we go with their protocol? Or should we demand that something else be used? Help????? p.s. I am 13 and just had blood drawn today. I have lost 3 pounds in the last year so it may or may not be due to my teeth.

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 14 January, 2010
    Did they do the CBC and Wellness blood panel? Did they do it in house or was it sent to Antech Idexx? :D As far as the ketermine, I guess it depends on how much you trust your vet. And was it the girls up front, per say, or was it your vet, that told you. If it was the girls, I would ask to talk to your vet, and discuss your concerns, then, it comes down to how much you trust him/her. :D If mine had to go in for surgery, I would be talking to my vet directly, and if she told me it was OK, her, I would trust, they know how I am, mol, and they "ain't" gonna lie to me, mol. They saw what I did with the hotel, that made Bumpurr real sick, mol, they even joke about it, if someone crosses me, they know what I can do. =;=; Best of luck with whatever you decide, I have your back, let me know if ya need any help. :-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h (((((((((((BIG HUGS TO YOU AND CLEOPATRA))))))))))
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 14 January, 2010
    Thanks Bumpurr.... The lady at the desk asked one of the Techs about it. The vets were out to lunch. Mom will ask her when she lets us know our lab results... but right now I am spittin' mad at mom for putting cold drops in my ears and medicine..... I growled and growled.... mom thinks she may need to wrap me in a towel for medicine time :?
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Sorry to hear about getting the cold drops in your ears. Yes have Meowma wrap you in a towel, then give you some chicken.. mol The Ketamine you are asking about, should be fine. When I was a vet tech, we used it all the time and never had any problems what so ever. Please let us know how things go! Dawn and Miss Puff |:|
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Cleo, I hope the blood test results come back good and the dental surgery goes well. It's probably worth checking with your vet about the ketamine and asking why they think that is best for you and not a different inducer like propofol. As long as they give you a good answer and you generally trust them I'm sure it will be OK, Purrs Freckles
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Thanks Miss Puff... Ketamine just had a major recall, which is why I was worried about it....
  • Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Writing about the ketamine recall on the Vet Blog, Dr. Eric Bachus had this to say: \"If your vet is planning to administer ketamine to your pet, you also may want to ask why he or she would choose this drug, which is very old school, over newer, safer medicines such as propofol. Even without the recall, the safety profile of ketamine is not as good as propofol’s.\" I was given ketamine for neutering, and ended up in a referral hospital seeing a neurologist for nerve damage.(My breeder had written on the top of my medical records NO KETAMINE, and the vet ignored it.) The doctors couldn\'t find any cause for my problem, but they insisted that ketamine couldn\'t possibly be at fault. Maybe not, but Mom isn\'t taking that chance again with me or any of my sibs. I am much better now (cats, unlike people, can repair the nerves\' myelin sheaths).