Which wormer? Panacur or Drontal?

Gina BowerGina Bower Appleton, WIMember Posts: 2
edited 19 January, 2010 in Cat Health
The 3 outside cats Momma and Daddy brung in the house in October apparently have WORMS!! It's the fluffy little one, the only one I like. He's been feeling crummy and they took him to a different doctor on Saturday. Momma gave him a pill called Drontal and last night he barfed up worms! Like spaghetti worms! I guess they are called roundworms. Momma called our regular doctor today and they got a fax from the one on Saturday. I guess, thanks to the fluffy guy, we ALL need to get medicine :-/ The receptionist said they "don't like to work with online pharmacies" which made Momma mad but she didn't say anything yet. They use Panacur rather than Drontal. I'm conflicted - do I let Momma give me 1 pill, or 5 days of icky junk in my food? Which one will work better? Mom can't find the Panacur online, but she found Drontal way cheaper than what that vet gave fluffy guy on Saturday. What should I tell her to do? (I'm the boss of her) -Mia

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 18 January, 2010
    Panacur is a horse wormer, I myself, would not use a horse wormer on cats. I also did look it up, and it mostly mentions dogs also. The dosage is a paste wormer, like given to horses, you dial the ring, to the desired weight, and shoot it in their mouth. This is hard enough to give to horses, let alone a cat. It also mentions granules, that you would mix with food, but thats assuming the cat eats it. Drontal is a pill, and much safer, in my opinion, the amount is determined by the weight of the cat. Mine get it every 6 months, the vet gives it. I am not a fan of online meds, you just never know what your really getting, the quality of it, or if its outdated, but that is a personal choice. If I have an issue with a medication, I want a live person, to be able to go back to, one that is responsible, per say, and is going to fix it, or give you your money back, per say. Not some cust serv # and some person that doesn't really care. If ya have an issue, who are you going to drive over to and scream at, per say? Only my opinion. Best of luck, which ever wormer you decide on. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Go to a Vet and get Drontal for all your cats. Do not buy medications online. Also if you have litterboxes they all must be totally cleaned out, and put new litter in.
  • Gina BowerGina Bower Appleton, WIMember Posts: 2
    edited 19 January, 2010
    I guess consensus is not to buy online. The thing is, my regular vet doesn't use Drontal. And this other vet charged me $12+ for one pill. I will need 10 pills to do all the cats, and online I can buy them for $4.55/each. It looks like they charged me $6 something for the Panacur they gave my tomcat when he was still outside. 5 days of paste. I'm frustrated as to what to do - I hope my cost concerns makes sense to everyone, I'm not trying to be lax or uncaring, just smart. With 7 cats, 3 new ones, it's been hundreds of dollars over the past few months with spaying/neutering/tests/vaccines. And now the other 4 are up for their vaccines. And everyone needs to be wormed. I never planned on taking in 3 extra cats this past November, but they needed a home.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 19 January, 2010
    We all understand about cost, and we all understand, sometimes stuff happens, and life comes at you fast. :D We all give our opinions, and I am more overly pickey than most, everybody knows it, mol. But it comes down to, what works best for you and your cats. If ordering on line and going with a less expensive wormer, works best for you, in your situation, than thats what you have to do. You should not be looked down for it. You are taking in kitties, and giving them a home, when they might otherwise be hungry, get hurt or continue to contribute to the population. :D Some have more resources than others to work with, some are doing real well, but ya know what, it can change over night, and not even thru you fault. :D Don't feel bad about having to make tough choices, some may not admit it, but they have had to, too, we all have, its life. Best of luck, with whatever you decide to do, and don't let anyone send you on the guilt trip. (((((((((((HUGS TO YOU AND YOUR KITTIES))))))) =;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 19 January, 2010
    To me the past is much easier to use; I guess it all depends on whether or not your cats will take the Pill Pockets or some such. Around here, we don't do those; it's humiliating, but the paste is easier. Bumpurr, Meowma always loved how EASY the paste is to get in a horse, even a baby or untrained one :lol Like you said, I reckon everyone has a different experience (and the fat woman has plenty of tricks up her sleeve). For cats, we don't use that big ol dial syringe--meowma squirts the right amount into a littler syringe and makes us have it. Luckily we only have it 1x a year since we never go out; it's not awful, but it is humiliating. (EEEEK-- Meowma says in a month, it's time for worming, shots, a check up, and butt-gland squeezing--I shall just DIE.)