Moving abroad

Mary Jane GuerraMary Jane Guerra Under the kitchen sink...Member Posts: 1
edited 20 January, 2010 in Cats & Travel
Hi, I\'m Agatha and I\'m 3 years old. I was born and raised in hot, sunny Guayaquil, Ecuador. I enjoy long naps on the roofs of my quiet neighborhood, coming back home to get a snack, take a short nap and away I go again to stroll along the roofs! My family is moving to the States in the next couple of months but they are concerned about my safety. They know I won\'t get used to being a completely indoors cat but they know they\'ll miss me too much to leave me here. Any advice on how to help me out with a smooth cultural transition? Miau (meow!), Agatha :^:

Comments

• Sweetie DavisSweetie Davis Member Posts: 10
    edited 20 January, 2010
    Hi Agatha! I'm Sweetie and moved from the states to Europe last fall. The flight was traumatic as I had to go in the baggage compartment. Then we stayed in a furnished apartment for several weeks before moving to our more permanent home. During the trip, when we had to go through customs, my people took me into a handicap restroom and cleaned up my carrier and let me stretch my legs. Once we arrived in Europe, they set up a fresh litter box with my brand of litter and set out my food and water, favorite toys, and put my favorite "softening" blanket on the bed. I was pretty happy with the temporary house. Then we moved into the permanent house and had a series of strange men delivering furniture over several weeks -- they greatly upset me. But I settled down, especially once my area rugs and beds were all in place and smelled just right. It is colder here, so I have to demand more lap time from my people, but that's ok!! I hope you have a smooth move!!!:^:
  • Sweetie DavisSweetie Davis Member Posts: 10
    edited 20 January, 2010
    Oh and Agatha, I was an indoor/outdoor kitty before we moved. My people had a screen porch where I slept most of the day and lovely garden with a bird bath, the perfect wild water bowl. I'm not a bird hunter and shared with my feathered friends. Since we have moved, I am nervous about going out. We do have a fenced backyard but no porch, so I don't go off the patio without my people. I did hop the fence and stayed out until midnight right after we moved, but I love my people (and their food) and came home. Now I have seen other cats outside from my window and am more cautious. There's a never ending farm field behind my house, and those other cats look like big barncats and I've seen them catch moles and mice. I don't want to tangle with them. So before I go out, I go out on our balcony and make sure the coast is clear. Then we go downstairs and my people stay with me. I will probably spend more time on the balcony once the weather warms up. It's safe and I can see everything going on in the backyard and field. Then when my lady gardens, I'll go outside and "help."