help at wit\'s end

Ronnie SirmanRonnie Sirman Member Posts: 6
edited 20 January, 2010 in Cat Health
Kinda new to catsters, but I'm going insane and broke. My 8 month old Lucky, has constant diarrhea. I have been to 4 different vets, nothing seems to work. We want to get him neutered but can't because of this problem. We have had him tested for FIP, FIV, FeLV, and Heartworms all negative. I haven't changed his diet, Friskies mixed with dry morsels. A little background, we got lucky when he was just a kitten, rescued from a chemical plant, was dehydrated and very still, nursed him back to health and lots of sleepless nights. Any ideas would be grateful or any other cat lovers have or had the same problem?

Comments

• Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Maybe it's the food. He could be allergic or to something in the Friskies (is it wet or dry?). A lot of cats can't tolerate grains very well. Fish, also, is often in found some canned foods and could be a problem. Maybe try a grain-free canned food or a different dry (I do think wet food is better for cats). If you do make a food change you need to give it some time, as many cats need some time to adjust to a new food. Also it sounds like you're feeding wet and dry, maybe combining them is a problem. Just some thoughts.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Yep. Never mix wet and dry in the same sitting. It's a recipe for stomach upset. If you want to give your kitty a wet meal, try getting him used to eating one kind of food by taking away the dry bowl of food for a few hours, while wet is out. When you are certain he will not eat any more wet, take away the wet, wait a while, and put out dry food. Also, you might want to consider allergies, like the other catster said. If food was the only constant throughout all this, it points to the food being the culprit. You need to find a food with a different protein and see if your kitty tolerates it better (it may take up to a month or two until you can tell for sure). Many cats are allergic to grains, quite a few to chicken, and many are also allergic to sea food. Eliminate the most likely culprit first, and if that doesn't work, keep going until you find food that will stabilize him. I hate to say it, it will mean feeding better quality food than Friskies. Friskies is not the worst you could, but it also sounds like it's not an option for you. Ultimately, if feeding better quality food keeps you from going to vets all the time for a problem that medication won't cure, you have to weigh the two against each other, and just bite the bullet. I guarantee you that a $25 5 lbs. bag of higher quality kibble a month beats a $75 dollar vet visit on a frequent and regular basis.
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 15 January, 2010
    How long has he had this problem? I agree with the other posts about it being caused by the food. He could have IBS and is having an allergic reaction to what is in the Friskies. Wheat gluten, corn, and soy can be a big problem for cats with IBS. Some varieties you might want to try are: Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Innova, Merrick, or Felidae. Natural Balance makes Limited Ingredient varieties that only have one protein and one carbohydrate source such as Duck Green Pea, Chicken Green Pea, etc. Natural Balance, Wellness, and Blue Buffalo are available at Petco but the others you will have to get online or at a specialty pet food store.
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Friskies is not the food that you want for your kittie. Try Wellness. It does cost a little more but the vet bills are better when your cat is eating better. Gradually change diets. I will not buy super market foods because many of the meats are not the best quality. When my cat had a bout of diarrhea, it was because I changed her food too quickly. I went back to one that she does well with.
  • Ronnie SirmanRonnie Sirman Member Posts: 6
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Hes had this problem for a while now off and on , the problem with lucky is that he was rescued by us at a chemical plant, now knowing that and what this plant makes is not good at all, so we had thought it could have been chemical. We had also thought it could be stress which we still haven\'t ruled out. His best friend passed away which could have put an emotional strain on him. He plays, eats, and has lots of energy, its just this one problem. We introduced another little kitty to help with the emotional trama for him and mostly for us, and they get along great, run jump and play for hours. but the one most common thing throughout it all is the food.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Have you had him tested for worms? We've been through this with pets before and it's always come back to the food. I would highly suggest trying them on a different food and see how that goes.
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Yes weve tested for worms and other culprits and im gonna try a different food gonna go buy some in a bit and try and start mixing it into his diet til i weed out the old food its better to go thru each thing it could be til we find the cause
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Did any of the vets do an x-ray, to see if his intestines were inflammed or if there was something else going on in there? Did they do a CBC and Wellness blood panel, to see if any of his values were too high or too low. Did they give him metronidazole or an anti spazmodic, to help with the diarea? :D Been thru this a few times, and thats the first thing my vet does, is the x-ray. At 12 weeks, the kittens were given adult food by mistake by the pet sitter, diarea, at 7 months, when changing them from kitten food, to adult food, diarea. My vet said to go back to kitten food and try again next month, was most of the way into the change over, and diarea again, and yes, this was done over 2 weeks. This time she said keep going. Each time, got an x-ray, each time it showed their intestines were inflammed, for lack of a better word, each time they were put on metronidazole, no more diarea, and, each time it was related to the food. :D I agree with the others, it is most likely the food, and as they also said, never mix wet with dry. Read this link, then read the ingredients on the Friskies bag. I feed Blue Wildnerness, the blue one, not the green one, my vet said to stay away from duck. Its by Blue Buffalo, stay away from the BB Spa. http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cats/wilderness-cat-dry.shtml Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 15 January, 2010
    How do you give your cat the pills the medicine you stated is what they gave our cat and everytime we use the popper he waits til we let him go after a few minutes and spits the pill out while were thinking hes swallowed it
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 15 January, 2010
    They were little kittens, 12 weeks old, so they were pretty easy to hold onto and pry their mouth open, pop the pill in, they weren't going anywhere. Metronidazole is a very small pill. Being that they couldn't get away at 12 weeks, at 7 months old, they figured they couldn't and they know, they aren't going anywhere, until they take the pill, so its just easier to just take it. I also coated the pill in a little baby food, so it was a good taste in their mouth, and gave them a lick of baby food on my finger, when they did swallow it, so it was kinda like a reward, and not a punishment. Now Smokey on the other hand, is horrible. She had liver issues and for 3 months, had to have pills twice a day. She was never taught as a kitten, was never sick, so now as a big girl, decides its not gonna get done. Which was not an option, the vet said you have to get this into her. So set her on the counter, wrapped her in a towel, kinda like a cocoon, with her head sticking out, making sure all 4 feet, were wrapped in the towel too, so didn't get scratched. Wrapped up like this, they aren't going any where. Did the same thing with her, that I did with the kittens, coated the pill in baby food, make sure its room temp, pried her jaws open, by squeezing on both sides, which that was a project too. Put the pill in, held her mouth shut, blew on her nose, and waited, until she swallowed it, which was usually when she stopped struggling like a wild woman. Then I gave her a few licks of baby food. If she is licking baby food and swallowing, she has swallowed the pill. The vet gave me the pill pockets too, Smokey looked at those and laughed, and seemed to say, is that the best you got?? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Tigger takes very small pills, but what works for him is that we kind of distract him a bit. He is so excited that I have put some tasty wet food in his bowl, or that Dad is holding his mousie, that when I open his mouth & push the pill in the back, he swallows cause he wants whatever it is and I guess doesn't think about the pill. Don't get me wrong though, he also has done the "yeah I swallowed it & pthewey" thing too. Good luck with your kitty, I hope he feels better soon
    edited 15 January, 2010
    Ok ill try those techniques with the pills ty both very much ill keep yall updated as I switch the food and let you know how it all goes:).
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 15 January, 2010
    I had similar problems with Freckles when I 1st adopted her a couple of years ago. She had constant chronic diarrhea even with the prescription foods from the vets. By a long process of trial and error I discovered that she is allergic to something in dry food. Whatever it is even the high quality expensive stuff has it in as she get diarrhea with those too. Once I realised that I focussed on canned food and found several she does well on. One way you can help figure out food issues is to just feed a plain cooked meat for a while (my holistic vet recommended turkey or pork since they are least likely to cause GI issues) and add some probiotics (you can get them in capsules at the grocery store/pharmacy and just mix in the the powder from 1 caplet into the food). It may take 2-3 weeks but his diarrhea should start to improve. Once he is pooping normally you can start to introduce different foods. Any food change can cause some diarrhea in a cat with a sensitive GI but it should improve within a week. By gradually introducing new foods you'll figure out ones that cause issue s and may start to see ingredients or types of food that cause issues. You should also be able to identify foods and ingredients that work well and don't cause issues. It'll probably take you a few months to figure this out but its worth it and will help save vet bills in the future. With Freckles I kept in touch with the regular vet and they confirmed she had mild IBD when she had an ultrasound. The good news though is that with the diet changes she is doing OK, the diarrhea is gone and her follow up exam confirmed the IBD is under control without needing any meds.
  • Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    edited 15 January, 2010
    I would even try a good wet food wellness has a turkey can you could get the large one and get a lid cover for it and put it in the fridge. And then when you need some for food time put some in a bowl/ plate on counter to warm up a little and then crush and add the pill to the food with some water. I have done this before. Just ask the vet if you can crush the pill first. I used a knife to cut it then a spoon back to crush it on a counter then push into the food. Or get a pill cutter/ crusher from the pet store or pharmacy and use that. Also this has some good info on it, http://www.our-happy-cat.com/cat-diarrhea.html Good luck.
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 16 January, 2010
    I don't know if anyone already mentioned trying grain free food. Many cats cannot handle grains. Another thing that helps is mixing a little Slippery Elm Bark powder into the canned food. Just a little background, my cat had diarrhea for many months and when I switched him to raw food (Nature's Variety pre-made raw, to be exact) the diarrhea vanished in one day and never returned. Raw food is grain free, but so are others like their Instict cans and Wellness cans.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Oh and for the pills try using pill pockets. I know Bumpurr's mum didn't have much luck with them but mum used them with some of my sisters and they worked well. I think its one of those things where its a 50:50 chance it'll work.
    edited 17 January, 2010
    An update we went and bought the wellness food and he is showing signs of inprovement hardening stool. So hopefully it was the food thank you for the feedback it is much appreciated.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 19 January, 2010
    =;
  • Heide LevineHeide Levine Member Posts: 313
    edited 19 January, 2010
    I know I'm late to this, but I hope you see this... Congrats on the food first of all!! Thank Heaven it was that easy! =; Second of all... and here's the biggie... Friskies can cause build up of the entire digestive system... All cheaper foods can... So now that you're feeding Wellness? Be prepared for a "pipe cleaning" period... your kitties stools might smell AWFUL for a little while until the Wellness cleans out the last of the Friskies... This may or may not happen, but if it does? Make sure you give it a couple of weeks before you decide it's not working... As long as the stools stay firm and there's nothing other then the odor itself for a while that means Wellness is doing it's job! :c9:^:
  • E VaglientyE Vaglienty Member Posts: 4
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Glad to hear that lucky is improving with his change in food! Just wanted to add that it's not just "cheap" food that can cause a digestive problem. One of my cats had an ongoing problem with soft stool. The vet prescribed a dietary enzyme that I sprinkled on his food, but it never worked as far as I could tell. I had been feeding him Nutra Max, a quite pricey food, when a neighbor of mine who worked for Iams started giving me some bags she would get for free because her cat couldn't eat it all. I gave the Iams a try, and, Voila! No more soft stool. I think the Nutra Max was just too rich for my cat. Iams isn't cheap, but definitely not as pricey as Nutra Max (at least not years ago when I was buying it--not sure about now).
  • Kate RousseauKate Rousseau West KennebunkMember Posts: 113
    edited 20 January, 2010
    I would try a limited ingredient diet (some good brands make them) or a low residue food. Also, a little bit of canned pumpkin can help some cats, just make sure it's 100% pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie mix.