Bladder Crystals

kristin petersonkristin peterson Member Posts: 15
edited 26 January, 2010 in Cat Health
So I just got back from the emergency vet, where my cat is staying overnight on IV fluids because apparently he has bladder crystals. He is 2.5 yrs old and hasn\'t had this problem before- I just noticed when I got home from work that he hadn\'t touched his food all day and was lethargic, then he started squatting on thing and urinating (luckily, just a pile of old towels and the bathroom rug...hopefully nothing else I haven\'t found yet!). The vet will do an ultrasound tonight and then if the fluids don\'t clear things out, they\'ll have to sedate him and put him on a catheter...if that doesn\'t work, he needs surgery, I guess. And regardless he has to be on a prescription diet for the rest of his life. I don\'t really know what to expect, here. Is this the same thing as FLUTD? Pet insurance will cover a big portion of that, so it would be good if that was the diagnosis. Are prescription diets expensive? What do they usually entail? Are there specific things I should look out for or be sure to ask the vet about?

Comments

• Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 25 January, 2010
    From what I know, FLUTD is inflammation of the bladder and can be caused by a number of things: diet, stress, etc. Does your cat eat only dry food? The best thing for all cats, especially those with urinary problems is a wet food diet. Water will help to flush out the crystals. A lot of vets will prescribe Science Diet or prescription Purina. These dry foods contain high amounts of salt, so that cats will drink more water. These foods are not the greatest. They have a lot of fillers, such as corn, wheat and by products. Please visit: www.catinfo.org It\'s a website written by a vet is an advocate for an all canned or raw food diet. Both my cats currently are on Weruva and Wellness wet food after having a bout with crystals and a UTI. Hope your cat gets better soon.
  • kristin petersonkristin peterson Member Posts: 15
    edited 25 January, 2010
    I've tried to get him to eat wet food in the past and he won't touch it- the only wet food-like thing he will eat is chicken-flavored baby food (he had that after a foreign body removal surgery) which is obviously not meant to be more than a short-term thing or a tablespoon as a treat now and then. He eats Royal Canin dry food, which the vet said is really good stuff, but I guess now he is going to have to get used to wet food whether he likes it or not.
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 26 January, 2010
    If you check out the website I mentioned Dr Pierson gives great tips on how to transition a cat to wet food. One of the tips is to put baby food on top of wet food, or mix in a teaspoon of wet food into your cat\'s dry food and then increase the amount slowly over a couple weeks. It may take weeks or even months for your cat to transition to all wet or mostly wet diet but she\'s says patience is key. Good Luck.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 26 January, 2010
    Hi Dylan please read this site about Urinary health, crystals, etc. Let us know how things go ok. :) click here
  • kristin petersonkristin peterson Member Posts: 15
    edited 26 January, 2010
    Dylan came home from the hospital this morning. His bladder was flushed out and he is is acting like his old self again (or at least like his old self on pain meds!). He's actually been eating wet food from the vet's office and seems to like it, so that's a good sign. The vet has him on Royal Canin unrinary health formula (or something like that) and there are bowls of water all over the place for him to drink. Glad to have him back home!
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 January, 2010
    I had both my cats on Wellness food which they love but still one of them had crystals. Because she was a female, it wasn't as serious as it is for a male. My first cat also had crystals. It is very common. First, don't be tempted by buying cat food from the super market even though they say "Good for cats who has urinary problems". Stick to the prescription. I get my at the vet or buy it online from PetFoodDirect. It costs a bit more than regular but it is cheaper than going to the vet or loosing a life. Hill's has minced chicken food that is prescription there as well as Royal Canin. They do have prescription food that is dry but you can add water to it. A water fountain would be good to add. It was a good thing that you brought him to the vet.....Hope that he is feeling better soon. It does take a little time for him to recover. Add more litter box as well. He may remember how painful it was so getting a new litter box might be good. I have four litter boxes for two cats.