Kitten appears pregnant

Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
edited 1 February, 2010 in Cat Health
I was asked to foster this cat from a rescue a few weeks ago and we've now adopted her. She hasn't been neutered or vaccinated yet because she was on steroids, but has had a basic vet check. She came in quite skinny and appears to be 4 or 5 months old, but we don't know for sure. A couple of days ago I commented that she was putting on weight and didn't look so skinny. Today I noticed that her tummy looked swollen, I felt it and there are lumps inside that appear to be quite distinct, they also appear to be moving and her back end seems swollen too, she truly seems heavily pregnant, we foster pregnant cats so I know the signs. The swelling is even lop sided. But this has all come about in 2 days, I usually have cats that are ready to drop, so I'm not sure if they can suddenly get a lot bigger. She also appears much too young to be pregnant, plus wouldn't the vet pick it up if she was? Could she be pregnant? If not, what could be wrong with her?

Comments

• Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 24 January, 2010
    It does seem like the vet might have been able to tell something, but then again I have only seen 1 pregnant cat.... I do remember her being very skinny one day and not so skinny the next though:? The poor girl was starving to death and mom went out and bought special food for her after she suddenly became large in the middle and mom noticed her teats were much fuller too(she was giving her some of my food). Mom even named her Victoria, MOL. Mom was going to take her in and have her spayed after the kittens came, but our awful neighbor flushed them out of one hiding spot with their water hose and then removed the second hiding spot a week later. Victoria had 4 or 5 kittens. Anyway, back to the thread, The best way to be sure one way or another would be to take her back in to the vet. Cats are surprisingly resilient and some can have babies very young. Sebastian's momma was around 6 months old give or take.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 24 January, 2010
    She could be pregnant. It's not unheard of at 5 months. My Boris' momma cat allegedly had two litters of kittens by the time she was 9 months old, so if you do the math backward, she'd have to have conceived her first one before she was 5 months old. The poor kitty was barely bigger than Boris at the time I adopted him and he was still kittenish in size (he was 6 months, she was nearing 15 months). If you haven't had her for a long time, it is quite likely that she came to you pregnant. If you have had her for a couple of months, then I'd think she found a "suitor" somehow. :-/
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
    edited 24 January, 2010
    I have had her 3 weeks, and she has only been around my two neutered boys and two spayed foster girls, so no suitors among them. I have an entire dog, but I very much doubt we're getting cat-dogs!! Although a terrible thing, I'm hoping she's pregnant, because reading what else a stomach swelling could be, the options are not pretty. Poor kitten will be going to the vets tomorrow for a verdict. Then I will know for sure.
    edited 24 January, 2010
    Purring like crazy here.... keep us posted!
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 24 January, 2010
    Strangelove had kittens at 6 months so hopefully its either that or worms and nothing bad.
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 24 January, 2010
    It is certainly possible that she is pregnant. If she is, it's possible that she was not far enough along for the vet to palpate anything in her belly. The three weeks you have had her would account for a third of a cat's pregnancy. Good luck at the check up, and let us know what they say :)
    edited 26 January, 2010
    Right, the result is in, the vet has no clue! Basically he said he didn't think so, but has no way of knowing. It could also be a hernia or she could have been born without stomach walls... not sure how that works? Since she seems in no pain though, she should be fine. Spay is booked for 3 weeks time, if she's pregnant it should show up before then. We also learned that although tiny, she has all her adult teeth, so must be at least 6 months old. You can see on her profile how small she is against my adult cat Snaps. Must be from her time as a stray we think!
    edited 26 January, 2010
    :? Born without stomach walls? I never knew that was possible....
    edited 26 January, 2010
    I know! Might make myself sound daft here, but surely the food would fall out?
  • Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    edited 26 January, 2010
    Maybe she isn't missing the stomach walls, but the mesentery, the lining that keeps your insides in. Without it, things would definitely protrude. Maybe feeding her made it more noticeable?
  • kristina bkristina b Member Posts: 169
    edited 1 February, 2010
    wow - good luck! keep us posted....